News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Baffle diameter

Started by suobs, November 02, 2010, 08:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suobs

Can anyone tell me if the 120 degree part of the baffle on Phil's design should contact the side of the barrel, or should there be a space between the 120 degree part and the side of the barrel?  If so, how much space? 

From most design photos the overall diameter (i.e., if the 120 part were a full circle) looks to be smaller than the diameter of the barrel. 

phil (admin)

Chuck has it right, that 120-degrees should be snug to the side of the barrel.

The reason why it might look smaller (relative to the tops) is that the top of the separator usually overlaps the top of the can, and also many of the barrels have tapered sides (so the baffle has to be smaller overall because it is lower in the can, where the diameter is reduced).

suobs

Gotcha. Thanks!

And on a 55-gal plastic molasses deal (not tapered except inward near the lid), the 120 degree part should be 2-3/4" larger in diameter than the inner circle?

Although I notice in your original description that you said it "scales well" to larger sizes. Suggesting (to me anyway) that this distance should be larger on a larger barrel.

phil (admin)

240-degrees of the baffle (two-thirds) should be reduced to form a drop slot of approx. 1.125" to 1.5" (if you do lots softwood, then use the 1.5", as those shavings are stringly and need the extra room to drop).

suobs