Thien separator / shopvac combo

Started by Vodkaman, September 17, 2010, 12:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vodkaman

First off, a big thankyou to Phil Thien for sharing the details of this clever design.

My problem is that my workshop is small and space is a premium. My proposed solution is to combine the Thien cyclone separator with my small shop vac. The unit will mostly be used for floor sweeping and plugging into various tools for dust collection.

The design is based on a regular plastic bucket that the shop vac and filter bag fit perfectly. On the top plate, the bucket sits on a rubber seal. On the bottom plate, the bucket pushes past a slightly under size rubber seal. The assembly sits on top of the plastic bin, separated by a seal.

Before I go ahead and start cutting, my question is, do you think that this will work?

Picture of combo assembly

Inverted view of separator box, baffle plate removed

Inverted view of separator box complete

Exploded view

Dave

phil (admin)

Your outlet port is essentially substantially offset from center and located in a spot where there will be a lot of turbulence.  But it looks like you'll be able to rotate that component, and I suspect you'd be able to find one or two sweet spots where it works very well.

So I'd give it a shot, just make sure you can rotate that bucket w/ the outlet in it till you find the most efficient placement for it.

Vodkaman

I have been thinking on the same lines. I will install a polycarbonate window in that area to try and see what is going on. Not sure how visible the flow would be. Also, I am starting out with a smallish hole in the bucket, as it is easier to increase size than reduce.

I thought you might have commented on the rather thin chamber. My thinking was a smaller cross section makes for a faster flow, more centrifugal force.

Thanks for taking time out and viewing my proposal and as you did not see anything basically wrong, I feel confident moving ahead with construction. Not sure on the time scales, as I have several projects on the go, but I will report back.

Dave