Questions on Baffle for 50-760

Started by WarrenB, February 01, 2008, 01:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WarrenB

Phil,
Now that I have the baffle for my shop vac built, I am going to put one in my Delta 50-760 dust collector(see picture 1). I am wondering if I should build the top baffle in the seperator ring and what size hole should it have in it?(see picture 2 with upper bag removed). Should I put a outlet tube in it that extends into the filter bag? This dust collectors design is somewhat different from the others I have seen, hence the questions.

Warren

phil (admin)

You're right, that isn't your normal ring.

From the looks of the photo (which can be deceiving), it seems there isn't much steel between the bottom of the inlet and the bottom of the "ring," which complicates matters a little bit.  How much room do we have to work with there?

WarrenB

Well, in picture one here there is around four inches between the inlet bottom and the opening to the lower bag. In picture 2 there is about four inches between the upper and lower ring. Diameter is 15.5''.

Warren

phil (admin)

My thoughts so far...

(1) Make a giant washer out of temperered hardboard.  It would have an O.D. equal to the inside diameter of the ring.  It would have an I.D. of approx. 6-8".  This ring would sit on that ledge I see ABOVE the inlet.

(2) Make a suitably sized baffle and suspend it from the giant washer using spacers of your choice.  It would be suspended approx. 1-2" below the inlet.

The final problem is that bottom ledge and the invading plastic bag.  They will make it nearly impossible for the dust to drop.  Does that bottom ledge go around the entire ring?

WarrenB

Phil,
Nope the ledge does not go all the way around. And I can secure the bag on the outside of the lip. In fact the lower ring is the very same as the upper(see picture in first post).

phil (admin)

Quote from: WarrenB on February 01, 2008, 05:55:36 PM
Phil,
Nope the ledge does not go all the way around. And I can secure the bag on the outside of the lip. In fact the lower ring is the very same as the upper(see picture in first post).

I guess I would try it and see how it works.  I suspect that the gaps in the ledge or rim or whatever we call it will allow enough room for gravity to drop the dust.  If not, you could add a small ramp at the leading edge (in relation to the direction of airflow) that extends up at a 45-degree angle, maybe only 1/2" up from the ledge, that would help it along.  But I honestly don't think it would be necessary, it is amazing how quickly gravity pulls stuff down.

You're gonna have this done and pics posted tomorrow, right?   ::)

rodelco

I am totally new to this forum and subject, but it is VERY interesting and informative.  I am thinking of buying a Delta 50-760 DC at the Wood Show in KC this weekend, and this separator looks like it would be a great addition.  Since I am so new, this is probably a really dumb question, but here goes anyway:

It seems to me that putting the baffle in the DC itself still leaves this as a "single stage" collector, which means that the impeller will still see everything that is "sucked up".  I thought one of the big advantages of this separator design was to make the 50-760 into a "two stage" collector which not only reduces the debris into its collection bag, but would protect the impeller from damage.

Is that right, or am I off base here?

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this forum, especially Phil!

phil (admin)

Adding the baffle to the ring of the DC only serves to reduce dust going to the filter.  For some people, that is enough.  For others, building a separator gives them ease of emptying and protects their impeller.