lower baffle & Cyclone separator

Started by swifty6, February 17, 2010, 10:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swifty6

I would like to know  why the lower baffle improves collection of chips and dust. I plan to use with a 4 inch collection hose to my 13 inch planner that can put out a lot of chips and dust. I am concerned that the lower baffle with a 240 degree radius with  only 1 1/4 inch slot will collect all those chips. Is the lower baffle the design to get the cyclone effect?

socrates

The cyclone effect is more created from the air inlet/outlets being in the position that they are. This causes the air combined with chips/dust to swirl around the outside of the chamber. When inertia wears off and gravity kicks in, the wood 'load' is then dropped through the aptly named drop slot leaving the somewhat cleaner air to freely exit the chamber through the top.

Its not that the baffle setup will improve collection any more, it will simply take out a majority of the waste prior to the air even reaching the DC if installed inline. Or if the baffle is installed in the DC itself it will assist the prevention of the dust/chip combo being aggitated in the bag, thus keeping more of the mess out of the filter.

ps, I have been suffering from an accute case of lack-ofus caffenieus (or as I like to call it my housemate drinking all my coffee and not telling me!) today, so if anything there ^^^ doesn't make sense, or I have got it all wrong, my bad!