News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Air ramp obstruction ?

Started by Astrowood, May 14, 2009, 06:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Astrowood

This is an older DC that I just picked up. It is a two Hp unit, no data on the specs about CFM etc. In fact the impeller is only 10" in diameter, and replacement impellers from the manufacturer are 11 5/8" !?
It is in excellent condition, but I have a few questions....

You see that the front view into the collector opening, the air ramp seems to be in the way, or at least, obstructing the air flow. Is this "normal" looking ?

A thought that I had, is the addition of a neutral vane to direct the air flow downward, aligning the incoming air with the ramp. Then at the end of the ramp would be the Thien separator.

Any thoughts ??

phil (admin)

The ramp isn't super popular, but I have seen 'em before.

I'm afraid I lost you on the rest of your plans.  You're thinking of adding a neutral vane to the unit?

Units I've wored on with neutral vanes have suffered lower separation rates until that neutral vane is removed.

Astrowood

I'm afraid I lost you on the rest of your plans.  You're thinking of adding a neutral vane to the unit?

OK, If you look directly into the intake, it seems that the air ramp obstructs the air flow - but perhaps it will not matter - hence my question.

The neutral vane is only a thought, I appreciate your comments, perhaps it is not a good idea, and I should just try the whole thing out before I start heavy experimentation.

bennybmn

What's the difference between the neutral vane and the ramp?