News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

What do I need to do?

Started by kcasser, May 12, 2009, 07:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcasser

Jet 650 DC - I made a baffle with about 1 1/2" drop zone, installed it to the funnel with with 5" standoffs, turned on the DC (no bags) and the dust went UP.  I built a base and turned the DC upside down, turned on the DC (no bags), the dust still went UP.  I made a new baffle with a drop zone of 1 1/8", taking into consideration the cylinder is not exactly round - the drop zone is darned close to 1 1/8" consistently around the 240 degrees.  This time I screwed the baffle to the cylinder so that I had almost 1" between it and the airway, and used a 1 1/8" standoff for one of the screws around the perimeter.  Put the bags on, turned on the DC, dust still goes UP!  You can see from my photos that there is a lot of dust collected on top of the funnel.  Every time I turn on the DC I get a cloud of dust.  Do I need to do the donut/flashing I just read about?  If so, what should the inner diameter be for the Jet 650?  Or, am I doing something else wrong?  Thank you!  I'm having fun regardless of the outcome, but I'm hopeful that I'l be able to put a better filter on top and end up with a better DC.  BTW, ignore the 1/4" hole in the baffle - I used old 3/4" birch ply that I had laying around.  I'll close the hole, sand the surfaces, and shellac it if it looks like it's going to work.  Another question - would it make any sense to round the edges of the baffle in the drop zone?

dbhost

Just guessing here, since I can't tell for sure, but I think the 120 degree part is mostly behind the air inlet, and from what I can see from the pics Phil posted, it is supposed to be just at, and in front of the air inlet.

Anyone else with a Jet 650 and an internal baffle care to chime in here?

I found another thread just a couple below yours actually...
http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=172.0

Hope this helps...

kcasser

Thanks, DB.  I saw that post which is why I turned my DC upside down.  I think I have my baffle positioned the same way he does, so I'm not sure why I'm getting so much dust in the top bag.  I think the physics for my application may be different from those in a seperator, but I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

phil (admin)

I wish I had a better pic of how the air enters the "ring" you have there.  Any chance of another shot showing the opening from the blower into the ring?

kcasser

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the response.  I'll send any photos you want.  So, I should put the camera between the funnel and the baffle, aimed at the blower?  I'll take the photos tonight when I get home and post them tomorrow.  :)

bennybmn

Yeah I have my baffle set up the same way.  I guess I thought the 120 deg portion was supposed to be a "landing zone" for the debris... But looking at the pics from Phil's site, it looks more like the 120 deg section should be somewhat centered on the inlet. 

To be honest, I don't have any clear bags or anything to really SEE what is going on with mine... Might invest in at least a clear lower bag to check. Also, I should unclamp the felt bag and see what it looks like in there!! I'll report back in a couple days. Don't worry dude, we'll get it figured out!!

kcasser

I guess I'm not sure where the optimal location would be for the 120 degree section.  I made mine based on yours.  :-[  I don't know how critical the position is.  I guess I have to think this through a little more.  I don't fully understand the principles at work here.  It seems to me we're trying to get air only to go up, and chips and dust to go down.  The space between the baffle and the sidewall allows the chips and dust to drop into the bag, while the center circle of the baffle keeps the air flow from stirring up what's already in the bag.  I guess I have to work out how to enable the air to go up without all the dust.  From other posts I've read, I'm going to try making a donut which would seal off the cylinder above the funnel, cut a 6" hole in the center, and put a 3# coffee can through that hole extending about 1" below the funnel and nailing it to the donut.  This would only allow the air in the center, presumably dustless, to rise.  The funnel could be removed, but it's probably not critical.  That's where I'm headed, anyway.  More tomorrow!  :D

kcasser

Phil, I took these photos this morning.  Do they help?  I didn't have time to work on the donut/coffee can, but will try to get to it this weekend.  Am I positioning the baffle correctly relative to the fan opening?

phil (admin)

I'd give the coffee can idea a shot.  But I have some concerns that one of the problems is that the blower isn't pushing the air in on a tangent.  That is, it doesn't create much of a swirl.  I might be inclined to create a flap of some thin plastic (like those report covers the kids use for school work).  I'd attach it (use some double-sided carpet tape) so it partially covers the inlet and acts as a sort of diverter to make sure the incoming air/debris swirls.  If there is any chance that the air/debris isn't spinning, try the diverter first, then the coffee can if the diverter doesn't help.

kcasser

Thanks, Phil!  I'll give it a try.  I did put together the coffee can last night, and I'm very close to success, if not completely there.  I need to seal between the donut and the funnel because that's where the dust comes out now.  I have more work to do, but should get it finished this weekend.  Here's a photo of my coffee can.  I have 3" of coffee can baffle, and 3" of open space between the bottom of the can and the surface of the separator.  Is there any reason I should trim the coffee can down to 1"?  I'd like to save myself some trial and error, but the 3" can seems to do the trick.

phil (admin)

First of all, is that decaf?  I don't think that will work as well as caffeinated.   ;D

Anyway...  is there any way that you can make the level of the can somewhat adjustable (at least initially)?  I think 3" of extension is going to be too much.  You'll restrict CFM more than necessary.  I'd want a way to back-off to 1" or 1-1/2" if I find my airflow drops too much.

Nice work, BTW.  What is the D of that can?

kcasser

Decaf keeps the DC from vibrating. ;D ;D

I could cut it down to 1 1/2", and then to 1" to see if it still works, and make a new one if it doesn't, but I was hoping to not spend this much time on the project.  :D  I don't know a good way to gauge how much airflow I'm restricting with it at 3".  I'll have to play with it.

Thank you!  This can is 6 1/16" in outside diameter.  I cut the can down with my jigsaw - it went like butter.  I used a circle cutter to put the hole in the ply.  I sealed/glued the can to the ring with Silicone II, and stapled it from the inside with my airgun stapler at work.  I plan on shellacing it, and shellacing the separator, and will then bolt the donut to the funnel in three places to give it a good seal - then more Silicone II around the donut/funnel joint.  Seems like it should work. :)

bennybmn

The coffee can is a great idea! And green too :D

kcasser

Thanks!  I'll let you know if it works.  I put everything back together last night, added a flap over the blower inlet, put the lower bag on and turned on the DC.  It's still pushing some dust upwards, but I guess I should expect some of that.  I think I'm going to vacuum out my upper bag and then see how much stuff really collects there.

dbhost

Okay dumb question here...

If this isn't a clean bag to start with. How would you be able to tell what is new dirt, and what is old?

Thoroughly clean that bag and then test your system...