Delta 50-850 + Wynn filter + baffle

Started by rhino, May 10, 2009, 10:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhino

Hello.

I recently purchased a Wynn 35A filter kit for my Delta 50-850 dust collector. I decided to build the baffle as a means to keep the filter as clean as possible.

A bit of information:

My baffle is constructed out of 3/16" tempered hardboard. It sits approximately 1" below the inlet. From looking at other posts (and pictures) on this forum, I believe the "drop zone" is positioned correctly. The gap for the "drop zone" is exactly 1 1/8". As far as I can tell, the baffle is built and installed correctly. One interesting note about the Delta 50-850 DC - the funnel shaped opening above the inlet and below the filter is a bit larger than most dust collectors. I have no idea if this effects the performance of the baffle.

After installing the baffle and filter, I gave it a test run. I slowly fed some saw dust into the DC. What I noticed was that the "cyclone" effect I expected to see in the collection bag was far less pronounced than I expected. The dust can clearly be seen dropping down below the baffle, and once it does, it does not "swirl around" all that much. Perhaps this is not a problem at all, but I expected that the dust would swirl around in the bad a bit more than it does. For comparison, before the baffle was installed, the dust in the bag would constantly swirl around.

I shut off the DC and removed the filter. After close inspection, I noticed that some dust had made its way into the filter. No big deal, except that I was surprised to see that some of the larger shaving produced from my jointer had made its way into the filter. Coupled with the fact that the chips/dust don't seem to "swirl around" in the bag, I figured I had done something slightly wrong with my baffle. Thus I am posting here for the first time.

Any ideas? Perhaps the baffle should not be so far below the inlet? Or perhaps I should adjust the position of the 240 degree "drop zone" with respect to the inlet? As mentioned above, perhaps this is normal and there isn't a problem at all.

Thanks.

dbhost

The no swirl, or at least radically reduced swirl is completely normal, and what the separator is supposed to do... The shavings / chips making it to the filter is a concern though...

I am not sure from your description how you have the 120 degree section oriented compared to the inlet. Could you elaborate a bit more for clarity?

expo

Rhino...

I recently upgraded my 50-850 with a Wynn filter and Phil's baffle... look a few posts down... I also got fines and larger shavings in the filter pleats.  I decided to run the DC as is to see how long it takes before needing attention.  Unfortunately, for several reasons, I've not been woodworking much in the past several weeks, so not much to update...

I'm wondering whether the larger funnel opening might be having some impact...

phil (admin)

I am going to suggest that you guys w/ the 850's make an MDF donut with an I.D. of 8" and an O.D. suitable for mounting in the existing funnel.  Find some flat flashing/thin aluminum approx. 3" wide and wrap that around the I.D. of the donut so it extends approx. 1" below the bottom of the MDF (just staple in place).

expo

Flashing... why didnt I think of that!!  I might just have to try that out...  Thanks Phil!

rhino

The 120 degree section of my baffle begins just below the inlet on the side of the DC. If I moved (rotated) the baffle at all, I'd put the start of the 120 degree section a little more "behind" the inlet -- such that the opening of the inlet was more towards the middle of the 120 degree section. I'll take pictures next time I remove the bag.

Phil, I think your idea is worth trying. I've read too many success stories with respect to this baffle in common dust collectors to think that is is a problem with the baffle itself. The unique factor with the 50-850 DC is the larger funnel opening. Reducing the size of that opening will be an interesting experiment.

When I build something I'll be sure to take pictures and comment on the results.

bennybmn

What's the overall diameter of the 850? I'm trying to figure out the relationship of the 8" ID to the OD so I can scale it down to my 650 if needed. Thanks!

expo

on the Delta 50-850 the ID of the steel separator portion is ~19.5" the opening in the "funnel" portion is about 11.5"