My 30gal can is also crushing in!

Started by rob219, May 09, 2009, 07:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob219

I hope I built the lid right? I bought a brand new 30 gal metal trash can.  As soon as I started to pick up any dust the can will suck in a little, but if the hose gets plugged just a little it crushes the can badly why? I am using a ridgid 6.5hp vacuum is this to strong?

Thanks
rob219

coaster

static pressure and lack of flow would cause the can to collapse. logic would dictate to lower static pressure and increase flow to prevent can collapse. can you try a bigger hose for the can intake? i assume you have a roughly 2.5" I.D. hose when measured? is your can unusually thin gauge?

rob219

I dont know the gauge of the can but I might return it to home depot and find a thicker one.
I'll try that first. I do have a 4" flex pipe coming  off the vacuum to the lid, and yes I am using a 2.5" hose . I have even tried to use 5 hp vac insted of the 6.5hp and it still crushes the can.

thanks.

phil (admin)

You need a thicker can.  Some of them that I've been running into are little thicker than a soda can.

rob219

were do you think I could get a thicker can? I have tried the 3 big home centers and my local hardware store but there all the same, I guess they dont make them like the use to.   :(

rob219

Phil were did you get your can from? I live in MN so maybe I can go to the same place. How about fleet farm.

phil (admin)

Quote from: rob219 on May 10, 2009, 12:09:29 PM
Phil were did you get your can from? I live in MN so maybe I can go to the same place. How about fleet farm.

I used a 10-gallon for the shop vac.  If I wanted larger, I'd use a steel drum.

dbhost

FWIW, I have seen in the same lot of galvanized trash cans, from the same manufacturer, cans with demonstrably thicker steel than the others. Not sure how to verify you are getting a thinner one except with maybe calipers at the home center...

A steel drum is an alternative...

rob219

Thanks for all of the advise on witch can to use. I finely foud the right one for me, a 20 gal sump basin witch has  about 1/4'' thick walls so it's very strong. The best part is, it only cost me  20 dollars. I would highly recommend it. It already has a lip and every thing so your top could be flat witch makes less work for you. You should be able to find them at any home center I found mine at fleet farm.

rob219

RockHead

Quote from: rob219 on May 10, 2009, 12:09:29 PM

Mills has 'em a lot heavier than HD and Menards - although Menards also has a thicker one that's 32 gal - the 30 gal is thin. The stores may vary but Eden Prairie usually has both and the one up on 65/Central too.

rhino

I bought a 20gal steel trash can from Fleet Farm for my separator. It seems to be rather sturdy. I haven't tested it yet because I am missing an adaptor to connect my 2.5" hose to my shop vac. I just finished building the lib last night -- I'll get the part and test it today.

Somewhat related questions ...

My lid was built to be used with a shop vac, therefore it has 2.5" fittings. I am thinking that I might also want to use a separator between my DC and planer, so I have a couple options: 1) use my current separator with 2.5" to 4" adaptors or 2) build another lid with 4" fittings.

Is a 20 gal steel trash can and lid with 4" fittings sufficient for use with a DC? I was thinking that I could just build another lid and use it on the same trash can -- swapping then out as needed. I do have a plastic 20gal can in the shop, but it is not very beefy and I wonder if a plastic can would get crushed.

dbhost

Forget the plastic trash can. You can either build a separate 4" fitting based lid / separator and swap out as needed, change the fittings in your 2.5" to 4", and use reducers but I suspect that would cause problems. Or you could build a baffle for the inlet ring of your DC assuming it doesn't have some funky layout that would interfere with that...

rhino

OK. So I tested my separator hooked up to my shop vac and the steel trash can from Fleet Farm. My shop vac will begin to crush the can if the intake is blocked, even partially. The sad part is that when I hook the hose to my orbital sander, the air flow drops enough that the can begins to crush.  ???

I thoroughly clean my vac and added a new filter before I tested the separator. Amazing how much better the vac performs.

Oh. On a related note, I am in the process of tracking down a fiber drum here in the Twin Cities. There appears to be a couple places that sell them. I'd love to get a 20-30 gallon fiber drum and give that a try.

dbhost

FOUND IT!

The trash can I have that is holding up well to the abuse of being used as a cyclone dust bin is a Dover Parkersberg Model #620 that I obtained from Kilgore's Lumber Company in League City, Texas.

I have been using this setup now for about 8 months with no collapse. I do get SOME suck in if I get a complete blockage, but I know enough to stop the vac before any damage is done.

bennybmn

Rhino, your DC is much less likely to crush the can than the shop vac, so go for the dual lid setup.