Use metal trash can lid for top?

Started by AlanZ, May 02, 2009, 03:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanZ

I see that many folk use plywood atop a galvanized metal trash can.

Is there any compelling reason not to use the trash can lid as the top?  It's not that tough to cut through the sheet metal... though it might flex a small bit under vacuum pressure.  The one I have is a pretty snug fit, so it looks like a good item to keep in the construction.

Any thoughts about this?  I;m about to make one with a 30gal can, 4" ports.  I can go either route (wood or metal), so your thoughts are appreciated.

phil (admin)

For me the problem was attaching the fittings (esp. the elbow).  The best way I could figure out to do so required a thicker top.  How would you attach your fittings if you use a steel top?

AlanZ

I have a 4" dust collector elbow (tapered on each end to accept a hose), and I was thinking about cutting a circular hole with either a jig saw, or perhaps a hole cutting jig on a Rotozip (if there's a bit for cutting sheet metal)

To fasten the elbow, I figured a bead of JB weld on each side of the sheet metal should hold it quite nicely (or a couple of small L brackets and pop rivets). 

The port in the center of the top is a "jointer dust collection" port... 6" square... should be very simple to fasten that over the 4" hole.

What do you think?  I'll see if I can remember to make some photos of the build... especially if I go this route.

phil (admin)

Honestly, I still see attaching the elbow as problematic.  And there needs to be an outlet tube extending approx. 2" down into the center,too.  If you use one of those jointer hoods, you'll be creating a funnel at the center, which will couple to the top of the can and cause more fines to find the outlet tube.

So I'm not sure it will work very well.  IMO, wood works better.

Silverback

Steel is steel... whip out the welder, cut some holes with a plasma cutter, use some exhaust elbows and flanges...

If you have the tools sitting around you should be able to do it faster than with wood and it should be functional, but I would argue that a lot of people put as much pride into the shop tools/benches... that they make as whatever you like to build, and it would take some real work to make the thing look nice.  Maybe trim out the baffle edges with some rubber hose that you split lengthwise with a knife, maybe something similar for the lid to make a better seal, some paint...