News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Jet DC 650

Started by Tom Williams, April 26, 2009, 04:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Williams

I am in the process of modifying a Jet DC 650.  I will be adding a Wynn filter and want to install the baffle in the dc.  Anyone do this to this dust collector?  Any suggestions or photos would be a great help. 

bennybmn

I can't speak to the wynn filter... I put a felt bag on mine. But mine is also an older model, and turns out the funnel ring inside the DC was BELOW the blower discharge! So rather than trying to remove it, I inverted the unit...

Before: See the ring?

Then I cut the baffle. It's small enough that it is secured via 3 screws from the outside. I was worried about splitting the MDF, but it holds nice!

So now you can see the funnel ring is upside down... but I don't think that effects the performance much. I could alwaus cut aNOTHER ring for the inside if I had to...

So then I built a rack to hold the unit. The original unit was supported by a metal cylinder attached to the motor. Flipping it exposed the fan, so I needed something to protect it. A bucket with some holes was a nice $2 fix shroud!

Finished product with my buddy JJ who helped me out.

Tom Williams

Thanks for the pictures.  I have the same unit, right down to the orifice plate on the bottom.  I have removed the orifice plate, what a pain.  I ended up drilling out the spot welds and need to get some gutter sealant to remount the ring.  I hope it was worth the effort.  I currently have a 1 micron felt bag, but it seems to collect a lot or chips as well as dust.  I am hoping the changed orifice plate and the baffle will keep the chips out of the filter.

kcasser

I'm trying to do the same thing, but I must be missing some critical information.  Why did you turn the DC upside down?  (I think I know the answer, but I don't know why. ???  I made a baffle, attached it to the bottom plate with 5" standoffs, turned on the DC and all my dust blew UP!  I thought the baffle would cause the dust to stay down under it, and the excess wind would go up into the top.  Do I need to invert mine?  Or remove the funnel baffle in the JET?  Or both???  Why would the dust blow upwards?

bennybmn

I inverted mine because that little ring was upside down, and I didn't want to drill out the welds like Tom did :D  Basically, it's totally reversible (and cheap) so I had nothing to lose.  The purpose of the ring is to prevent chips from flying up. The baffle keeps the chips that are already IN the bag from flying up too. And promotes nice separation. 

An alternative would be to remove that funnel ring entirely, and make a new one.

kcasser

Thanks for the replies, bennybmn.  I like the DC inverted anyway because now the hose doesn't have to make a 180 degree bend at the top, and, I, too, don't want to remove the ring.  I think it would give the unit structural strength, but it probably isn't necessary.

bennybmn

Yeah it definitely made my hose runs easier too! Just don't forget your paint bucket/fan shroud when you do it!! :D