Modifing a Harbor Freight dust collector

Started by sailfl, April 24, 2009, 08:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailfl

My question has to do with the space in the top part of the dust collector collar.  The part that the new filter is installed.  Once you have cut the MDF piece that will holds the filter with its hole in the middle the size of the filter, if there was a chute or cone that was attached to the MDF that holds the filter and extended to the open circle in the middle of the dust collector collar, would that help increase the efficiency of the unit?

I was thinking that if the opening to the lower section was the only air that went to the filter it would increase efficiency but I might not being thinking correctly.

dbhost

I am not sure why you are cutting an MDF circle / donut for mounting the filter. What filter are you using? If it is a Wynn 35A or similar sized filter, you should be able to just mount the filter with the turnbuckles supplied iwth the filter kit.

As far as the center tube idea (as I understand your post / question) another member here (Vaughn), who posted not that long ago with his results of adding the baffle to an HF DC. http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=145.0. He had attempted that, and found that the center tube actually caused quite a bit of scrubbing and instead of keeping debris out of the filter, caused a lot of debris to get pulled INTO the filter. I think he called it a "collar" mod. http://workingwoods.com/hot_rodding_a_DC.htm

sailfl

dbhost,

Thanks for the reply and the links.  It looks like my idea is just that an idea.  Putting the baffle is all I need to do besides adding a Wynn filter.  I am going to go with a 9L3000NANO which is taller and for the photos looks like I have to have a donut because of the mounting flange that comes with the filter.

I do have a question about the baffle.  It is difficult to tell from the pictures and I am not sure I picked it up from the write up.  The 120 degree strip should start on the left side of the intake opening of the dust collector collar so that the air is blown across the remaing part of the 120 degree strip or to the right of the opening?  I think it should be to the left.

Thanks for the help.

Vaughn

Quote from: sailfl on April 24, 2009, 11:52:31 AM
...I do have a question about the baffle.  It is difficult to tell from the pictures and I am not sure I picked it up from the write up.  The 120 degree strip should start on the left side of the intake opening of the dust collector collar so that the air is blown across the remaing part of the 120 degree strip or to the right of the opening?  I think it should be to the left.

Thanks for the help.

Left and right can be a bit confusing, since it can be viewed from the top or the bottom. I have my baffle arranged so the flow is going across most of the solid part before it comes to the gap in around the edge. Here's a picture of mine, with the DC funnel turned upside down...

I hope this helps -