Baffle installed inside a Delta 50-850

Started by expo, April 20, 2009, 04:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhino

I have a Delta 50-850 DC and I am getting similar results. I made a separate post in the forum today.

After a moderate amount of use, there is more dust in the filter than I expected. Initially it appeared that it was just larger shaving from my jointer, but upon further inspection it appears than a fair amount of fine particles are stuck to the inside of the filter. Note that I also have a Wynn 35A filter.

I'm beginning to think that the large diameter (11.5") funnel in the DC is playing a role. I'm not quite sure how I would construct an "outlet tube" as a means to reduce the diameter of this opening. I'm guessing that I would also need to lower the baffle a bit in order for this to work.

On a somewhat related note, one addition I made to the DC while I was overhauling it was to add a strip of weatherstripping to the outside of the DC where the metal band clamp goes to hold the collection bad in place. I used 3/4" wide, 3/16" (I think) think rubber weatherstipping. This doesn't compress all that much and provides a very tight seal around the collection bag. This was a great addition, since I would often discover that dust was escaping around the rim of the collection bag. I picked up the weatherstripping at my local Ace Hardware store. Note that the thickness of the weatherstipping is important, since if it was any thicker I would not have been able to latch the clamp around it. Turns out that 3/16" is perfect, and I can get the clamp on by using the last notch in the clamp.

expo

What about making a large MDF washer to rest into the upper portion of the steel separator?  You could use weatherstripping for the seal with the steel separator.  Then the opening could be custom sized or fitted with an outlet tube...  Anyone know where you can find a foot or so of 6-8" PVC pipe?

How did you attach the filter to the steel separator? (Wynn supplied turnbuckles were way too small)  After reviewing several options, I just bungied it down from the outside...

rhino

I attached the Wynn filter with a ratcheting tie-down ... like you would use in the back of a truck to keep your cargo held down. This is only a temporary solution until I come up with a better idea. I was going to use bungie cords, but I could decide how I wanted to attach them to the top of the filter (if at all). I was thinking I would cut a round piece of MDF to sit on top of the filter, then attach the bungie cords to that, holding it down. I don't like to put holes in things (filter, DC, etc.) when I can avoid it!  :)

Anyway, right now my tie-down is hooked to the lower legs of the DC. Just up and over and just enough pressure to keep it in place. The metal frame of the filter seems to bend easily, so I didn't want to force the issue.

Yes, the turnbuckles that came with the filter are far too short. I looked everywhere for some shorter turnbuckles, but I've found nothing. The nice thing about using bungie cords or a tie-down is that you can remove the filter without removing the baffle, which is a major plus in my book.

Greg McCallister

Couldn't you use a small block of wood on either the filter or the DC as a spacer for the turnbuckles?

kcasser

Expo - I'm working through this, too, and am now thinking about putting a donut over the funnel with a cylinder 6" in diameter extending through the funnel by 1".  I'm thinking that a 3# coffee can (now 39 oz) would work.  It's already 6" in diameter and could be sized to any depth you need.  Nail it to the inside of the donut and you're done.  I'm going to try it tonight or tomorrow, but if anyone else gets there first, please let me know.  :)

rhino

Quote from: Greg McCallister on May 12, 2009, 04:45:38 AM
Couldn't you use a small block of wood on either the filter or the DC as a spacer for the turnbuckles?

Yes. You could do that.

I'm not interested in using turnbuckles to attach the filter, though. Being able to remove/clean the filter without removing the baffle is the deciding factor.

Greg McCallister

Rhino,
I understand your current setup works. remember though all it takes is a small amount of leakage on the filter side to spread dust all through your shop.
If the system is working properly, the filter should not need cleaning - just a few raps on the side once and a while though I rarely do that. If you are getting that much debris in the filter something is wrong in your setup.

rhino

I don't have dust all over my shop. As far as I can tell, the tie-down (or bungie cord) method to attaching the filter to the DC is just as good as the turnbuckles. Anyway, the DC and filter appear to be sealed up quite well. No thin layer of dust all over my tools or any of that sort of thing.

You're right -- if the system is working properly my filter should not need frequent cleaning. However, that is not the case. I attribute this to the larger funnel opening in my particular DC, which is discussed here and in another thread. It certain effects how the baffle performs. Phil gave a great suggestion about creating a outlet tube as a means to reduce the diameter of this opening. I intend to try that as soon as I have some time to spend in the shop. I don't think the manner in which I attached my filter to the DC contributes to this problem.

Greg McCallister

I was looking at the mods that most have done on this setup and wonder if you added an extension ring of sheet metal or poly to the bottom to extend the height allowing Plil's baffle to be lower and of course, as already suggested, to modify the center (outlet) ring smaller and down towards Phil's baffle. Not the best of drawings but I think you can get the idea.
This would allow the air stream to circle around the cylinder below the inlet, thus avoiding air stream crash, which may be what is causing the debris to enter the filter instead of dropping down in the lower bag. Also you could be able to see above the baffle if poly is used and the lower bag is clear which may give more insight as to what is transpiring in the cylinder.
What do you think?