Can---effects of not being smooth cylinder?

Started by charlton, February 23, 2009, 11:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlton

I'll soon be making the separator for my dust collector. I was originally going to use a fibre drum since it's perfectly smooth. However, I can get a trash can (like the one that Phil has on his website) for substantially less cost. I'm wondering how the faceted (or pleated) nature of the trash cans will affect the performance of the baffle (if at all). If the general consensus is that the faces/pleats do not affect performance then I will just use it...otherwise, I'll source a smooth can/barrel.

Thanks,
Charlton

Brian Marks

Good question ... I also wonder if a trash can's cyclone-like shape is better than the pure cylinder of a drum.

phil (admin)

In the real world the differences are quite nominal.  A larger consideration is that when using a shop vac, you have to make certain the container's walls are able to handle quite substantial forces w/o buckling.  Larger garbage cans can easily collapse when subjected to the static lift of a shop vac and a closed-off hose end.

charlton

So having "leaks" between the baffle edge and the wall of the can isn't that critical?

For the shopvac-based one I have a fibre drum that I plan on using. I guess I'll give the trash can a try. What I really want is a plexiglass trash can so I can see everything. :)

Thanks,
Charlton

phil (admin)

Quote from: charlton on February 23, 2009, 09:34:01 PM
So having "leaks" between the baffle edge and the wall of the can isn't that critical?

For the shopvac-based one I have a fibre drum that I plan on using. I guess I'll give the trash can a try. What I really want is a plexiglass trash can so I can see everything. :)

Thanks,
Charlton

Just keep the edge of the baffle as tight to the edge of the can as possible and don't worry about the little scallops in the side of the can.  It will be fine.

bennybmn