News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Chips not falling

Started by Rob Cunningham, February 13, 2009, 10:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Cunningham

I finally got my separator together. Since I can't see inside the drum I'm only going by sound. It sounds as if the chips are swirling around above the baffle until I turn off the DC, then they seem to drop into the bottom section. I haven't looked in the DC bags yet to see if anything is being sucked into them.
My set up consists of a PSI DC-4  with 8" pipe going into the top of the separator drum (35 gal). A 6" side inlet on the drum. 6"main with 5" drops to my machines.
Should the chips be dropping below the baffle while the DC is running or is it something I should not worry about? Thanks

phil (admin)

It is not unsual for swirling to occur.  You just want to make sure there are no leaks.  Leaks would cause problems.

Rob Cunningham

Just an update. I sealed the seams of the duct work and all elbows. I gave the system a test run yesterday by face jointing then planing poplar for some shop drawers. I filled 2 barrels with chips and nothing made it through to the DC.  :)  I also ran all the parts through the drum sander. When I took the lid off of the barrel, there was a nice pile of sanding dust on top of the chips. I'm very happy with results.