My dumb question for the day

Started by smokey1945, February 05, 2009, 08:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokey1945

I am new to the subject of dust collection, thus am very unlearned about it.  So please bare with me and I will make this as short as possible.

I have been searching the internet to find a "cheap" dust collector (and I mean in cost), because I thought a shop vaccume hooked to a machine was pretty much ineffective.  Is this belief wrong?

I would have my machines running only one at a time.  They would be a tablesaw, mitersaw, jointer/planer, router, drill press (or sander), bandsaw, and various hand held sanders or drills.

Would a shop vaccume with Thein Cyclone Seperator do the job for me?  And if so I have two more questions.  One, what size and type and brand of vaccume do I need?  And two, where can I find the beginning of the discussions on this idea so I can learn as much as I can about it before I build?

Thank you for any help and advice you care to give. :)

Smokey

dr_when

You can make one of these Thien collectors yourself in about an hour (with a jigsaw/bandsaw/etc) and test it yourself. Cost will be for some plywood and some fittings. You will be amazed at how well the system works. I use a small shopvac. I am now making a second and third collector for out in the garage.

phil (admin)

One of the things you have to keep in mind is that the separator won't make the shop vac more than it is.  If you have a large cabinet saw (for example), you need a decent dust collector to get the job done.  That is because large cabinet saws weren't designed with dust collection in mind.  It was an afterthought.

If, on the other hand, you have equipment with 2.5" dust ports and somewhat thoughtful dust collection design, the shop vac and a separator can be just the ticket.