Finally building; stacked buckets?

Started by M. A. Espinoza, January 27, 2009, 05:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M. A. Espinoza

Hello,

I've been impressed with the community around the Thien Separator idea and still want to try adding it to my dust collection.  Been sidetracked but really need to add this and see if it helps keep things cleaner.

My first priority is to add a separator canister to my shop vac for use with a sander.  The vac greatly improves sanding but as most know it clogs the filter nearly immediately.

My thought is to use two five gallon buckets for the canister.  The top being the separator and hose and the bottom just to collect the dust.  Seems this would allow for less scrubbing than with just a single five gallon with a lid and the buckets are easy enough to source.  Also could bring the intake in a side arrangement and that seems to be the preferred method.

Anyone tried this?  I did a search but didn't find anything.

Also if anybody has done anything similar are there any tips?

Thanks.

dr_when

I have been using the plastic buckets from Home Depot for about $2.50. I use pvc plumbing parts for the ports and elbow. Cheap and glue together with pvc cement. The lid, etc. are made from 1/4" plywood. Total cost under $5.00 and work great!!! I am going to make a few and some for friends because they work so well. I did not think of stacking buckets for more volume... interesting!!