Thien Baffle seperator planned - some advice about my design please . . .

Started by albosNoggins, April 14, 2013, 06:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albosNoggins

Hi All,

I've been reading these threads for quite a while now and I'm so impressed with the knowledge of the members, not to mention their willingness to share it.

Ok, I have the Jet DC1100, a good extractor but at the moment I wheel it around tool to tool and to be honest, it's a real pain. I've decided to add some pipe work to the workshop and route it back to the extractor. It's a 4" system as that's all my budget will allow.

I've been planning on making a separator, from an 110Litre (30 gallon) trash can, as I've seen so many people have good luck with this.

The problem I'm having is that I'm just not sure how the inlet and outlet should be positioned on top of my trash can. For this purpose, I'm assuming the pipe from the blower is the outlet (the centre pipe) and the inlet pipe is the one that goes from the trash can off to the workshop. I think I have that correct.

Please see the below images, a quick mock up of what I'm planning . . .

This image shows the trash can with the lid and the pipes. Standard stuff.

This image shows the trash can and the lid slightly transparent so you can see the pipes and the baffle. I think the positioning of the baffle should have the 120 degree solid part start just under the inlet elbow? (Not quite how I've shown it in the drawing)

This image shows the distance the 'bell mouthed' outlet protrudes into the trash can, I've read it should be about half the diameter of the pipe above the baffle.

I've read lots and lots of the threads but can't really find any hard and fast answers so I thought I'd ask, after all the only silly question is the one not asked . . . I hope  :D

So, my main questions are . . .

-Is the protrusion of the outlet pipe into the trash can correct? For my 4" system, it would be 2" above the baffle?
-Is the 'bell mouthed' end to the outlet pipe a good idea?
-The location of the 120 degree solid part of the baffle, in relation to the inlet elbow

Sorry for the long message. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated  ;D

Thanks

Alex

alan m

everything looks ok.
the end of the pipe is in the right place
the bell mouth seams to be a great job
the 120 degree part of the baffel should start just under the inletso that the dust has to go over it first

one slight change i would make would be to  put a small gap under the inlet bend so that chips dont get caught and build up there

with your plan for the shop dc system. what height are you planing on running that. if you are running it  at waist height i would make a side inlet so that you are reducing the number of bends  in the system.

albosNoggins

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply and all the great info. I'll be sure to put a gap between the baffle and the inlet elbow.

Unfortunately I need to have it as a 'top entry' because of where it's located. I have tried to design the rest of the system with as few bends as possible. Also, I'll have blast gates throughout.

After doing a lot of reading I think the Jet blower I have should be powerful enough. I guess I can only try it and see.

I was going to make the connections to the trash can in flex, probably about 600mm (2') lengths before it all goes into solid pipe. I know flex can kill cfm's but I'm hoping this shouldn't have too much of an affect. What do you think?

Thanks again for your advice, I'll be sure to post some photos when it's all done.

Alex