thien baffel with a cone

Started by alan m, January 26, 2013, 05:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan m

has anyone put a cone under a thien baffle to drop it in to a barrel.
im thinking of relocating my dc ducts onto the ceiling . this way i would end up with better cfm at the farther away machines but the closer machines would suffer a wee bit

if i put a cone under the top hat baffel  and put the lid back on top of the barel and flex hose between the two.
this would allow me to make a larger diameter seperater if i decided to

thanks alan

phil (admin)

I think someone HAS done that, but I doubt I'll be able to find it.  But I'll try.

alan m

i was thinking about this some more
my thoughts were that as the dust drops through the slot it cant drop freely and thus might reduce efficientcy and increase the posibility for dust to be pulled back up

im thinking of putting 3-4 layers of mdf under the baffle so that there would be a straight section for the dust to fall down before it reachs the baffle

alan m

i still cant find anything similar to this.

i think it would work well.  i would leave the bottom diameter as wide as possable. so for a 55 gallon  barrel the bottom diameter would be close to the dia of the barrel.

this would allow you to make a seperater any diameter you wanted

DarthVader

you just want your separator to look like a cyclone, hehe. i'll stay tuned and see how this comes out.

alan m

the reason i wanted a cone was that the seperater would be up at ceiling height but the barrel would be on the ground. that way i could run the ducting on the ceiling without having a sharp vertical section straight away.

i dont think il bother because if i put the dc on the ceiling my closest dc ports will become 3 times longer and have a few bends in them. the first one would go from 3 feet to 30 feet and loas of bends.

the longest away ones will be shorter but not by enough to justify redoing everything

i still think it would work.
if it would help you fire away