News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

inpection window

Started by alan m, December 19, 2012, 04:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan m

hi there,
iv finally got around to starting my dc ducting.
when i bought all the parts i ordered 45 degree saddles for my branchs(only a blast gate and hose on each one) but i ended up with 90 degree saddles instead.
i wasnt able (not worth the  cost of shipping them back) to return them so i bought more 45 degree ones.
anyway they are sitting on the shelf  and i was thinking  what to do with them.

if i mount them to the 6" main line and put a plastic cap in it would it act as a window .
i was thinking of putting 3-4 on the system .
would i be able to see the dust passing by.
would there be a build up of dust in the saddle. i would only put them on the top of the horizontal  runs  or on the front of the vertical runs.

any other sugestions on what to do with them

thanks alan

alan m

any one got any ideas on this one

retired2

I'm of the opinion that anything that might introduce turbulance, no matter how small, should be avoided.  For that reason, and the fact that it has limited benefit, I wouldn't do it.

alan m

thanks retired.
thats what i was thinking.
im better off not tempting fate.
i would like to see thats going on thow.
i was worried about the larger spot creating a low presuure spot adn depositing dust there .

i would still like to use the fittings some how
any idea

alan m

just an update

i desided to add  a couply of y fittings into the duct work to allow for future expansion and to clear a blockage etc(hopefully that will never happen but if there is no way in it will happen).
i got some spigot flanges(like a joiner but with a flange all around to screw onto a tool) . i put some clear plastic onto the flange . now i can see in  at 2 locations and watch the dust  pass.
i know it adds a bit of resistance etc but i think the windows are great. especially during the setting up stage. i was able to see the difference in the way the chips moved when different configurations of the blast gates and flex hose were used on my planer .

i still have the 4" saddles , any ideas

phil (admin)

alan m

i will get some tommorow. along with a few other updates

DarthVader

the windows in the ducting itself is pretty cleaver wally. you can use it for troubleshooting or for testing purposes because if you're anything like me...you can never leave well enough alone.

alan m

sorry about the delay.
camera problems.

this is the principle.
i used a y fitting. and put a window on one side of it.
i used another y to bring me back to horizontal again and continued on.

alan m

this is a continuation of the last pic . it is on the ceiling and has 3 feeds into the main line all done with y s
there is a spare length of pipe up there too

if i shine a light down inside the window i can see each line entering. the far one is only barely visable but you can see if it is working.
it hasnt worked trying to take a pic down inside . there is too much reflective surface and every thing looks the same.

alan m

this pic shows the ys better

retired2

Quote from: alan m on February 21, 2013, 05:38:38 PM
this pic shows the ys better

Wow, spiral wound pipe!  I'm impressed.  I was going to go that route.  The straight pipe was not a whole lot more than the heavy gage snap-lock I decided on, but the spiral wound fittings were a deal breaker.  As I recall the ells were either 2x or 3x the cost of long radius bends from Oneida, and their's are adjustable to any angle which is a big plus.

alan m

i started off thinking about a 4" clear pipe system from axminister. but thet had ts instead of y so i would have to buy them seperatly. the costs started to rise so i looked at sewer pipe but the bends etc were getting really exxpensive in 6".
then i decided i would do one side of my shop with spiral . it is actually hvac ducting but a good gauge.
as i started doing it i went a bit further and further until i ended up doing it all.
it was more expensive but not by much. i bought the y fittings in the uk for 1/3 to the cost here in ireland

retired2

Didn't realize you were in Ireland.  Sounds like the availability and economics of ducting material is different there than on the east coast of the US.

alan m

our sewer pipe is diferent to the US ones i see in dc systems. ours has a rubber seal inside . yours look like there isnt and the parts just dlot into each other. our 1.5"waste fittings are like that.
proper dc ducting is very expensive. the fittings are shocking.
for my 6" seperater i got the transition made  localy . i think it was 60 euro. i priced an 8" one in the uk for 40 euro +shipping.
i built one for almost nothing. the sheet of metal was 25 euro and i could probably get 6 out of it.
a y fitting with a straight trough and one branch off to the side is 60 euro.  the ones in the pic are 13 gbp+shipping. about 16 euro +shipping
thats a massive difference. there are some losses by having no straight part  but i think the money saved was worth it