News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

home made. dc fittings

Started by alan m, June 30, 2012, 07:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan m

hi there. i bought all the parts for my dust colection system a few days ago. the shop i ordered it through said they would get 45 degree saddle fittings(drill a hole in the duct and bolt on the saddle ) to keep the costs down.
now they say they can only get 90 degree saddles.
i dont think those are going to work efficiently. i would rather have it right  even if it cost me more.
i see some on a few ducting sites but they are 25 euros each or more . all it is a 4"pipe cut to a specific end shape (cant be complicated to make a template to cut the shape) and flare the ends.
i probably need 9-10
how do you think i should flare the ends

is it too much to take on trying to build them myself

is there another way

thanks alan

retired2

Quote from: alan m on June 30, 2012, 07:10:34 AM
hi there. i bought all the parts for my dust colection system a few days ago. the shop i ordered it through said they would get 45 degree saddle fittings(drill a hole in the duct and bolt on the saddle ) to keep the costs down.
now they say they can only get 90 degree saddles.
i dont think those are going to work efficiently. i would rather have it right  even if it cost me more.
i see some on a few ducting sites but they are 25 euros each or more . all it is a 4"pipe cut to a specific end shape (cant be complicated to make a template to cut the shape) and flare the ends.
i probably need 9-10
how do you think i should flare the ends

is it too much to take on trying to build them myself

is there another way

thanks alan

You absolutely DO NOT want 90 degree wye's.  If you are building a fixed dust collection system, you should not use anything other than long radius bends ( 1.5D or larger) and 45 degree wyes.  Obviously, you are not in the U.S. but I am surprised that you are not able to find fittings similar to ours for use with snap lock pipe.  Here is a link to Onieda Air, where I purchase my bends and wyes.  They are not cheap, but their stuff is higher quality and heavier guage then some low priced competitors.  Interstingly, from this supplier, saddles are higher priced than a full fitting.

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventory.asp?CatId={D2CB4A98-C227-47C1-AD7E-55D93B8966AF}

Here is what a 90 degree branches should look like for minimum SP loss:

alan m

first of all . that shop is too tidy.

this is why  i dont want to use the 90 degree saddles.

i can buy 45degree saddles in the uk (i am in ireland) buy they are 15 gbp plus vat and shipping etc. these are the cheapest i can find so far. that is close to 200 euro for the 10 i want .
i am thinking that making them from 4" spiral pipe might be cheaper (not counting my time in that)

retired2

Quote from: alan m on June 30, 2012, 11:20:32 AM
first of all . that shop is too tidy.

this is why  i dont want to use the 90 degree saddles.

i can buy 45degree saddles in the uk (i am in ireland) buy they are 15 gbp plus vat and shipping etc. these are the cheapest i can find so far. that is close to 200 euro for the 10 i want .
i am thinking that making them from 4" spiral pipe might be cheaper (not counting my time in that)

The shop is only tidy because we recently moved into a new home, and most of my focus has been on setting up the tools so I don't bury myself in dust and dirt like I did at the old place.  Give me time, I'll make it look a little more "lived in"!

Your prices are definately higher than here in the States, but making your own laterals is going to be a lot of work.  I think there is a free patternmaker somewhere on the internet that you can use for cutting the eliptical hole.  And I think I've seen some guys making the laterals with plastice pipe, but I don't remember the particulars.  You might find that somewhere on this forum.   

The problem with looking just the subject line of many threads is it can mislead you about the content.  The thread on my separator build started when I made the first cut and continued for weeks while I incorporated a number of unique features, some of which evolved through testing.  Consequently, the thread is a rambling nine pages long and covers a lot of subjects, including a lift design for the waste drum.