News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

edge of slot detail

Started by alan m, June 29, 2012, 04:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan m

hi there.
i have seen on a few threads that people have rounded over the slot ,some have chamfered the top ,others the bottom.
is there any advantage to this and if so what way should it be

thanks alan

phil (admin)

For thicker baffles, a chamfer isn't a bad idea.  But I prefer to keep the baffle 1/4" or even 1/8".

alan m

i built a 4" design  made out of layers of mdf. the baffel is part of the bottom layer. i didnt want to have to put threaded bars in thereto support the baffel.
it works great.
it is 3/4" ply for the baffel . do you think i should chamfer the bottom edge of the the baffel

alan

Bulldog8

It seems like there are so many variables in different systems, (amount of 90's, leaks, duct material, etc.) that it is hard to say if you would find a noticeable improvement by chamfering or not.

I have two baffles, one is a top hat over a 30 gallon barrel for my DC system. It has a 3/4" baffle plate that I chamfered after seeing dust hit the very end of the drop slot and deflect back up into the dust stream above the baffle. Chamfering fixed that for me.

My second baffle is in a five gallon can separator with a Shop-Vac and I used 1/4" hardboard with a chamfer. This small set up is what I use for hand sanding, routing and general clean up. It gets a lot of fines, especially when hand sanding.

Bottom line, if you are happy with the amount of separation you are getting with your current set up, it is good to go. If you find that you are more dust in the filter than you had hoped, I would experiment with the chamfer.

Down the board a ways, is a build where someone, (I don't remember name) used a sandwiched baffle. 3/4" to support the baffle but the working edge of the baffle was 1/8" or 1/4" material. It looks pretty nice. If I ever decide to rebuild my main separator, I plan to use that idea as well as a deeper chamber.

Steve

alan m

i am happy with the 4" version but would still like to make it better if i could.
i am about to build 6" version .
i am thinking of using clear plexi for the baffel (or maybe large window in the ply baffel.
i will probably chamber the edge and end of the baffel.

is there a link to that thread

thanks alan

Bulldog8

Here is a link to the one that I was talking about. Galerdude also has a sandwiched baffle, but I don't think that he had the support like the link shows.

http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=660.0

alan m

thanks bulldog.

i think a thiner edge detail will create less turbulence and allow the dust to seperate without getting sucked back

Bulldog8

That seems to be the way to go. Like I said, I made my baffle out of 3/4" and chamfered, but if/when I rebuild it I plan to use a thinner baffle with the bottom support and will "sandwich" the baffle like galerdude's.
http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=503.0