News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

blowing outside

Started by alan m, June 27, 2012, 02:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan m

hi there. i am planing on blowng the fine dust out side.
i have one of those extractors that the impeller housing and the ring the bags mount to is one piece. i will use a seperate seperator before the dc unit.
i am thinking of a second baffel inside the second ring and a bag below . an open enough material across the top of the ring and a 6 " flex pipe up to a stainless  pipe going out side.

does tis sound good.

what should i put on the end of the pipe going throught the wall to stop vermine etc and water coming in the pipe

thanks alan

phil (admin)

Personally, I'd skip the 2nd baffle and bag, and just run a pipe outside.

alan m

thanks phil

what would you put on the end of the pipe going outside to stop vermin and water. what is the less restrictive way to do it

thanks alan

phil (admin)

Quote from: alan m on June 28, 2012, 03:03:58 AM
thanks phil

what would you put on the end of the pipe going outside to stop vermin and water. what is the less restrictive way to do it

thanks alan

I'd make sure the pipe is pitched downwards (takes care of rain) and I'd put a blast gate on the INSIDE to keep out the vermin.  Just have to remember to open the gate before you start working, and close it when you're done.

Otherwise you could probably buy some sort of flapper or something.

alan m

Quote from: phil (admin) on June 28, 2012, 09:19:42 AM
Quote from: alan m on June 28, 2012, 03:03:58 AM
thanks phil

thanks alan

I'd make sure the pipe is pitched downwards (takes care of rain) and I'd put a blast gate on the INSIDE to keep out the vermin.  Just have to remember to open the gate before you start working, and close it when you're done.

Otherwise you could probably buy some sort of flapper or something.

i was thinking of somekind of flap arangement. i remember seeing a nonreturn valve or a ducting site but cant find again. i was thinking that it might only work with pressure on the other side

i like the blast gate idea but i know i would forget to openor close it. i will look at those automatic gates.

Peter

Laundry dryer vents use a back-draft damper--that opens when air blows out, but is closed otherwise.
Years ago, my shop was the location of our laundry system, and the dryer vent through-the-wall thimble, with its back-draft damper still remains. The only "vermin" that make their way into the shop through it are spiders. I am reminded it's there when I open or shut an outside door suddenly, as the damper flaps momentarily to equalize the changes in pressure. Mine is 4" diameter--the standard dryer duct size--but I bet if you went to your local HVAC company, you'd be able to get one in any size you want.