HF DC with baffle using metal trash can top

Started by AlanZ, October 26, 2009, 10:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanZ

I finally got around to finishing a separator for a Harbor Freight unit.

Just to be different (and to see how this would work) I remounted the motor, and piped it into a separator that uses a trash can lid for the input ports.

Take a peek at my web page for photos of the build process.

Enjoy!

Greg McCallister

Nice job Alan.
I think you will like how it works.

toolguy1000

what did you do to ensure that teh motor, once mounted to the mall, would line up with the inlet into the DC (not the metal separator)?

AlanZ

I enlisted the aid of my 20 year old son to hold the motor up in position (attached to the hinged wooden support boards).  While he was holding it (and complaining loudly) I determined the position (vertical and horizontal) and poked a sharpie pen through predriled holes in the board that attaches to the wall.  Then he put the entire unit down on the floor.

I used these markings to drill into the brick wall.  Then I separated the hinges and mounted the wall board.  Next was to convinced him to flex his muscles as he held the unit while I aligned the hinges and attached the motor board to the wall board..

As a precaution, we had a stool positioned below the motor in the event that he had to set it down, but that got in the way more than it was helpful.

I used up quite a bit of 'son-brawn-allocation' that afternoon.

Oh, and no... I didn't get it aligned properly on the first try (as you might see from the extra holes in the wall and board in the detail photos)... third time was a charm <vbg>

coaster

thats a cool setup; i have the same DC and use it with a trash can too and have had similar thoughts as you.

here is an idea i have been tossing around for a few weeks.....

i dont get any dust in my lower bag. its about a 100 to 1 ratio or more, i can have half a garbage can full of dust and a few specks in the lower bag.

so, why do we need such a big lower bag? seriously.

i've thought about cutting the bag down or using something else completely and putting the garbage can where the lower bag is supposed to go. (may have to raise entire assembly)

am i onto something here?

AlanZ

Coaster,

I've wondered the same thing, and figured that I'd run it as is for a while and see when/if the bag starts to accumulate anything.

If it doesn't, I'll shorten the plastic bag and use the base to store wood or tools. 

I don't want the separator can there, as it would involve more piping... I like the very short runs present now.