News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Here is a link ( http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=1054.msg5677#msg5677 ) to my setup which uses a Grizzly 1029z dust collector. There are a series of photos attached and the last one is the completed setup. I used the ring from the DC for the separator. It has been working well as I capture a large amount of fines in the trash can. I know some are getting by (which is inevitable) by what collects in the dust box below the filter when I back blow the filter. I don't know what effect the tapered ring in the DC ring has on the separation process but it don't think it is harming it in any way. At best it may be forcing more of the fines and larger items to the perimeter of the ring and into the drop slot.

All duct work out to the machines is 5" spiral wound pipe. At each machine there is a 5" blast gate and then reduces to 4" for connection to the machine. Further reduction is done from there for smaller ports. The only issue I have encountered when using a small port tool is I have to open another BG part way or else the trash can will collapse and result in loss of suction and in one cause dust started everywhere.

This link ( http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=1402.msg8446#msg8446 ) takes you to my post on the automation I have added, if interested.

Thien Cyclone Separator Lid Discussion / Re: Another baffle / HF DC upg...
Last post by dbhost - December 07, 2021, 06:55:46 PM
I am going to have to ask Phil for forgiveness here, at least for the time being. The airflow impact of my 55 gallon drum separator really got my attention, so at least for now, I am leaving the baffle out, and going instead with a neutral vane.

So far the airflow is amazingly better, but no idea about the separation.

I fail to recall the members HF DC that had the Neutral Vane here AND a Thien separator IN the DC allowing it to drop and not scrub from the lower bag, I would assume the Neutral vane does nothing about preventing scrubbing... But if I blow down the filter and drop the bag before it gets overly filled up I should be golden...

But the project panel purchased for the baffle is here, and will remain at the ready should the need arise / the vane not work as I am hoping...
Thien Cyclone Separator Lid Discussion / Re: my best harbor freight mod...
Last post by dbhost - December 07, 2021, 06:47:45 PM
On that trash can separator. from the pics, it is hard to tell, but it looks like the inlet is too far into the 120 deg wide spot. It should dump just when the wide spot starts...

On the subject of HF DC mods. I too have the 2HP Central Machinery dust collector. Everyone knows the drill on these as far as bang for the buck goes. I have the Wynn 35a as well, but mine is the older Spun Bond that you could wash out with a garden hose and let dry... Never done that, always blown it down. I believe MERV 15 with 99.99% at .5 microns. Hopefully by now everyone has gotten the message, ditch the cloth bag, get a quality cartridge filter.

I was hunting for the apparently unobtainable Rikon impeller for years, when I stumbled upon folks starting to swap in Wen 3403 impellers. Part number 3403-22 Turbofan.

I have yet to upgrade my inlet as my ductwork is still 5" split to 2 4" lines, but I will be upgrading in the new year to 6" using a Hydrofarm AC6F 6" fan flange from Amazon. Needs some mount hole dimpling and drilling but aside from that, direct fit...  And it's green. Not a perfect match for my unit, but close enough.
Thien Cyclone Separator Lid Discussion / Re: Airflow measurements
Last post by WorksInTheory - December 05, 2021, 04:23:55 PM
Awesome data - makes my head hurt so still digesting. I have been asking this question around these parts and will ask you here - what are your thoughts on going to 8" intake?
Great work and thank you for sharing! Helps a lot folks out in their decisions. I wish you did a 5" to 6" before 8" on the intake so we can see if there is a big diff and on the flipside if the 6" is a better balance of stress, velocity etc or should just go straight to 8" Any thoughts?
Hi taking a chance folks are still replying to this one (looks like not since 2018) but what are thoughts on opening intake to 6" vs even 8" (I have upgraded impeller to bigger one btw). Noticeable diff or enough diff to do it or stick with 6" bc not enough diff or otherwise will overstress?

thanks for your thoughts
Thien Cyclone Separator Lid Discussion / Re: Another baffle / HF DC upg...
Last post by dbhost - December 04, 2021, 09:46:49 PM
I'm in a quandry at this point. The anemometer I got from Amazon won't read high enough to read the air speed at the DC inlet.  Most likely send this back and order one with a higher read capacity...
Thien Cyclone Separator Lid Discussion / Re: CFM Impacts of various sep...
Last post by dbhost - December 03, 2021, 11:16:14 AM
Okay no answers readily found. So I went ahead and ordered an anemometer. I will take my own measurements and do the math.  Will make a video and post the results.
Thien Cyclone Separator Lid Discussion / Re: Setting up my first DC sys...
Last post by dbhost - December 02, 2021, 01:51:19 PM
I am digging into this very question. External separators are known to cause CFM drop.  Your DC is outfitted with I believe a 5" inlet. I would be looking into an in the inlet ring separator, either a Thien baffle, or a Neutral Vane, if not both.

I know the Thien baffle does radically reduce the amount of fine dust that get to the filter and in turn cause the filter to cake up.

You will also benefit significantly by replacing the bag type filter with a cartridge filter. I believe Grizzly at least used to offer a nice .5 micron nano filter with a built in beater to help clean it out...
Thien Cyclone Separator Lid Discussion / CFM Impacts of various separat...
Last post by dbhost - December 02, 2021, 06:22:47 AM
I've been using a Thien separator for years, literally well over a decade now. And only recently came across some few youtube tests / demos showing CFM drop using most notably top hat style Thien separators being more extreme compared to say the CFM drop going through a commercially built cyclone separator like a Super Dust Deputy, and ALL of the tests are on what I would call pre impeller installs.

I have seen nothing comparing to say Neutral Vanes.

Since the whole point of these builds and adds has been to improve / maintain CFM / dust collection. Has anyone been able to do actual airflow measurements when fitted with the various separator styles?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Thien separator as it is EXTREMELY effective at separation, and maintaining airflow over the long term. I am just wondering if it is the best option, and even if, are there things we can do, maybe easing corners with a router bit for example, to facilitate airflow without allowing excessive dust blowby.