Started by Greg, March 06, 2014, 08:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

I almost have everything I need for my tophat build - this is what I have:

HF 2hp dc,
Pleated filter,
Rockler Dust Right can,
Fittings\connectors & DWV piping.

I am still working on obtaining an Rikon 12" impeller.

My plan is to have the blower assy. Elevated level to the HF collector for short\straight connection as many others have done. And the Tophat inches below the blower and on top of the Rockler can for a short\straight connection as well.

Connection to the tophat (TH) will be via 5" stovepipe. Inside the TH to be a 5" stovepipe with a home made mdf bellmouth. If the inside dimensions of the TH is 7" high and (19" wide I belive), how far down should the bellmouth sit from the inside top? I'm guessing 1\2 the pipe diameter if I read everything correctly for a distance down of 2 1\2".

Second question, I see everyone running their line-in (inlet) to the TH straight. I was thinking of having the inlet chamber to curve along and follow the outside of the TH about 1\4 it's outside distance prior to merging with the air\dust inside. My thinking is this might be less turbulent mixing while having the incoming dust along the outer wall prior to entering the chamber for hopefully a quicker and more efficient separation.  What do you think?

Last question. I am planning on eliminating the collection bag below the separator. My thought is to use a internal Thein baffle and below that build a small collection box\diverter with a 2 1\2 hose attachment. That hose would connect to a Wye fitting to go back into the Thein Collector for another trip around and hopfully settle in the Rockler can below the TH. I am thinking the added suction\down draft will:

1. Improve drawing the fine dust away from the filter,
2. Reduce exhaust pressure further while increasing cfm,
3. Eliminating a collection bag - everything ending up in the Rocker Dust Right can eventually.

A blast gate would be added to the 2 1\2 line to adjust  the flow\ pressure back through to the TH and blower. What are your thoughts?

I am on a tablet in a hotel room so I am limited on providing any sketches at this time explaining this further.

Any and all thoughts are welcomed. Thanks.

tvman44

Let us know how it works and include pictures. :)

Greg

Plan on taking pictures as I go.  Will post them with a "how I did it" description as well. I am just planning it out and collecting parts now for the build. Meanwhile I have to complete a Mahagony bow front chest I designed first for the wife! If the wike ain't happy-nobody is happy:-)  It's almost built!

Was hoping for some advice for my questions for the build - but it's only been a day.  I am new to dust collectors as I was using a shop vac till this purchase (which is why I have the Rockler Dust Right canister).

jgt1942

QuoteMy plan is to have the blower assy. Elevated level to the HF collector for short\straight connection as many others have done. And the Tophat inches below the blower and on top of the Rockler can for a short\straight connection as well.

I infer you want to mount the motor assembly similar to what is in my image. I used a block-n-tackle to lift and place the unit.
In my case my Grizzly intake on the impeller was slightly smaller than 6" thus I had to split a 6" pipe along the length of the pipe and then glue the seam.

I did not use a bellmouth thus I cannot give you any advice here.

QuoteSecond question, I see everyone running their line-in (inlet) to the TH straight. I was thinking of having the inlet chamber to curve along and follow the outside of the TH about 1\4 it's outside distance prior to merging with the air\dust inside. My thinking is this might be less turbulent mixing while having the incoming dust along the outer wall prior to entering the chamber for hopefully a quicker and more efficient separation.  What do you think?

As you can see I ran my connection straight into the TH and I have had zero problems with it.

QuoteLast question. I am planning on eliminating the collection bag below the separator. My thought is to use a internal Thein baffle and below that build a small collection box\diverter with a 2 1\2 hose attachment. That hose would connect to a Wye fitting to go back into the Thein Collector for another trip around and hopfully settle in the Rockler can below the TH.

The only reason I kept the bottom and top bag is because that is the way mine was in the original setup. I plan to replace the top bag with a ye and you are planning. Having over-filled my can I ended up dumping about 2" of dust in the bottom bag thus I think I will replace that bag with a clear plastic bag so I can see what is in it. Until I over-filled my collector can (currently a 20 gal Brute, will be modified and replaced with a 32 gal Brute) I had almost zero in the lower bag.

I need to see a drawing to fully understand you possible setup.

As you can see I used Plexiglas for the side of my TH. If I were to do it again I'd also use Plexiglas on the top and bottom just so I could see what is going on. It is rather therapeutic (for me) seeing the TH in action.   :-*

Also if I were doing it again I'd have more distance between the top and bottom of the TH, currently I have about 6". Some  have reported better separation by having more distance, however I have picked up about 2 gal of dust as fast as it can be sucked up and it seems to be working great.