News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

suitable barrel?

Started by Jerry In Maine, February 13, 2012, 03:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry In Maine

i have a plastic barrel thats about 32" tall. top and bottom diameter is 15", center is a big larger. its shaped sorta like the old wooden whiskey barrels. has a nice locking lid...

i'm wondering if it would be suitable for a pre-separator for my Harbor Fright 2 hp DC which it uses 4" connections. once in awhile a screw or nail will make it to the DC's impeller and i need something to intercept them.  not having as much dust make it to the bag would be nice too.

i figure it would work have to some to extent but just wondering if the smallish top diameter (as compared to a trash can) would be a hinderance.   i had initially planned on buying a metal trashcan and one of the cyclonic lids commonly available, but it'd be nice ( read:cheaper ;) ) if i could use a barrel i already have and to not have to buy the cyclone lid.

any thoughts? thanks!

phil (admin)

As long as the top has sufficient room for the fittings, and as long as the baffle will fit through the top but still be wide enough to hug the wall several inches below the top, then you can give it a shot.

Jerry In Maine

won't work then...the area where the baffle will be is larger than the top opening (whiskey barrel shape)
good thing I asked 'else I would have cobbled up a good barrel just to get to a frustrating end.

thanks for the help!

RCOX

Jerry in Maine: You could build a tophat design and your barrel would work fine. In my opinion. Still be able to use what you have, this way.

Raymond