Delta 50-760 20 gallon version

Started by tool_fool, June 09, 2011, 07:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tool_fool

Last week, I built my own Thien cyclone separator on a 20 gallon trash can, which fits the Delta 50-760 space better without  crowding.

I used the Rockler 34367 4" Dust Separator Components because they make a quick seal without glue or silicon and allow for later elbow angle tweaks.  Lid clearance between adjacent individual components on the top lid was borderline minimal, but I kept the output port exactly in the center and the input port still fit.  A 3/4" lid allows only a few threads to catch when assembling the component halves, so I routed a 1/4" deep counter bore recess around the bottom of each top lid hole. 

Despite careful measurements, when I test fitted the completed assembly, I realized that the can is not perfectly symmetrical. Depending on the rotation of the assembly, sometimes the top lid would spontaneously pop out. The large diameter arc on the basement level was rubbing on the can, so I had to shave 1/8".  Now everything fits well and does this thing ever suck!  At least 90% retention in the can!

Thanks Phil and collaborating contributors!