Finding fittings to connect flex hose to seperator?

Started by juicegoose, April 12, 2011, 01:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juicegoose

Guys I'm looking to pick up either some 5" or 6" flex hose for connecting to various tools(mobile connections). what have you guys used to connect a 5" flex hose to a 6" S&D pipe. Or better yet going between the 6" flex to 6" s&D pipe or 6" flex down to 4" flex. Just curious as I can't find the fittings but figured it would be a s&D fitting or something.

pitbull

A 4" PVC coupler will allow a 4" HVAC metal pipe to slip inside...which connects to a 4" flex line

Might be the same for the large pipe as well

juicegoose

Thanks pitbull. I guess I'll just have to try and find some S&D pipe and see if it fits.

galerdude

Quote from: pitbull on April 12, 2011, 07:31:01 PM
A 4" PVC coupler will allow a 4" HVAC metal pipe to slip inside...which connects to a 4" flex line

Might be the same for the large pipe as well
Great info Pitbul! Thanks for posting!

Gale

dbhost

I have previously posted RE: slipping 4" flex hose over 4" S&D. The issue that is really at question is just how 4" is your 4"? I used PSI 4" flex hose, and it slips over 4" S&D fine... I also used 5" Grizzly flex line, the cheap stuff as I was making a VERY short connection, and I had to use HVAC crimpers to reduce the size of my 5" HVAC fitting in order for it to go over...

Oh, FWIW, I also sealed the connection there with the aluminum HVAC tape to keep things from slipping. I initially tried screws, but they just pulled through the hose like it wasn't there...

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the PSI clear hose on the 5" connection. When I upsize to 6" I will likely go with that PSI hose...

trucrafter

The best solution that I found for connecting 6 inch PSI flex to SRD was to set up my dado blade with my miter bar and fence and using a piece of scrap pipe raise the blade height and slide the fence forward  until the pipe touches the blade, ease the pipe into the blade and rotate the pipe.  Test this until you find the sweet spot that takes off just enough to be able to work the hose on and once you get that then clamp a board to the table top so so that it will hold the pipe at the front and the miter fence at the back.

I tried setting up my router with a straight bit but it chattered to much and got a little hairy trying to control it.

bill70j

You can also use a belt sander to scarf off enough material from ABS pipe to make a good friction fit.  I took about 3/32" off of a 4" ABS SD coupling to make a very tight connection to 5" flex hose. See the image below where I used a coupling as the separator outlet and modified it to fit 5" flex hose.

CaneMaker

I have a JDS 1.5 HP dust collector which is pretty much a clone of the General and other single stage DC with the cone. I greatly improved the overall function by adding a Delta 1 micron canister and more importantly replacing the flex hose from the fan to the seperator with metal 5" diameter long radius 90 degree bend. 5" was the diameter of the outflow from the fan and inflow of the collector. The metal LR bend made a huge difference in the suction power and cut the noise level by half. I used an unwelded multi-part bend because it was available for me to handle and I was sure that particular pipe would fit without any other connectors, then I sealed all the bends' connections with aluminum caulk. I am probably going to replace it with the Penn State welded unit to insure long term leak prevention.
I highly recommend getting rid of the connecting flex hose and replacing it with a long radius metal unit.

Next I am going to make and add a Thein baffle or try to clone the new Jet Vortex unit. Next is to upgrade to 6" flex tubing to connect to equipment, and upgrade to a MERV 15 filter.