Mounting baffle inside a DC

Started by D Romano, January 24, 2008, 07:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil (admin)

Quote from: Rick Potter on January 29, 2008, 12:18:20 AM
One question.  Does the 1.25 inch gap apply to any size ring, or should it be bigger with a bigger size?   It seems like a 20" DC ring might take a larger gap than a 14 or 16".

Rick Potter

The gap is sized based upon the debris we want to fall through.  No need for larger than 1-1/4".  As the ring sizes increases, so does the total area of the drop zone (it gets longer, but not wider).

Mike Goetzke

Quote from: D Romano on January 27, 2008, 02:30:57 PM

1) The pop rivets sound a bit too permanent, what if you need to take the baffle out?

2) I actually find it easier with the baffle, because the ring fits nicely in a spot sized just right for it.
David

David -

(1) if needed, the rivets can be easily removed by drilling them out, but, other than try a new design is there a reason to remove the baffle?

(2) your ring must not fit as tight as mine. Mine is so tight I need to slide one end at an angle 6"-8" up into the metal ring to be able to attach it.

Also, I added a fastening point to the free end of the baffle - to tame down the vibrations. The baffle is now rock solid but I still have a different sound from my DC than w/o the baffle. Must just be the change in turbulence. I added flour to the DC - some have said this helps release the wood dust more easily. I can see the bottom of my baffle is white and the top is spotless. If I crank the paddle on the cartridge filter I don't get but a trace of debris. This seems to be an early sign that the baffle is performing it's scrubbing action?

Mike

D Romano

Mike,
My ring fits very tightly. Before the baffle was there I used to do what you say, but since then I've learned that the ring is very flexible and can take a surprisingly sharp bend. Youu know, I thought about it later on, and it occurred to me that I put a 1/4" gap between the baffle and the snap in ring. I used pieces of hardboard as spacers. I failed to mention that in my original long post.

My impression is that the flour trick was only for bags. The canister is already a superior filter, I don't think it needed the flour. Your test results are encouraging, but I think the top of the baffle is going to be scrubbed clean no matter what. Wipe the pleats of the cartridge with your finger to see if there is any flour there.

David