Upgrading my DC with Thien baffle, Wynn Filter, & Super Dust Deputy w/questions

Started by josefis, February 28, 2012, 12:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josefis

Hello Everyone,

I found this site a few months ago and have slowly been integrating what I've learned here from all the wonderful content available. I recently bought a used Jet 1100 at a great price and decided to try and overhaul my entire set up. I was already the owner of a Super Dust Deputy and had this setup in use with a 1hp unit for the last year or so.

The trouble though is now that I have a larger unit everything has changed. I decided to build a new cart but I've run into clearance issues with my upgrade. If I align the exhaust out from the impeller with the intake on the filter/bag components I don't have enough room to accommodate the Wynn filter. After looking at things more closely I figured that once the air/dust leaves the impeller it might not make a huge difference in efficiency if I have piping of some sort do an "S" curve to send the air from the impeller and to the filter and collection bag.

Will I greatly degrade the efficiency of my unit by doing so?  This would allow me proper clearance for the filter and allow me to maintain the unit as a somewhat mobile entity in the shop. I'd love any feedback folks might be able to provide. My overall concern is keeping things as efficient as I can. If It's better to have it go direct to the unit I can probably take it off the casters to give me the needed clearance. I just wanted to see if I could avoid doing so.

I only had 4" flex hose in the shop so I'm using that only to illustrate the concept. I would upgrade to rigid pipe most likely if the idea has merit.

I'm also planning on adding the Thien baffle. Just haven't build it yet.

Thanks All,

Joe

josefis

Sorry about the attachments being the wrong orientation they weren't that way on my end. Not sure what happened.

phil (admin)

I wouldn't do it that way.

I'd scratch the ring of your old DC altogether.

Then I'd attach your filter directly to the outlet of your blower either using a large-radius elbow, or I'd make a plenum from plywood or MDF.

Using an elbow or plenum will require that you cap the open end of your filter.  But you should be able to come up with something that is removable but gives you a point to which you can mount a flange.

josefis

Thanks Phil!

Could I ask why you'd recommend that? What about the fine dust collection and particles that drop into the bag when using a ring? I noticed when I had this setup going with my 1hp unit I still had particulates end up in the bag. I'm a layman, but it seems that I'm going to have more filter cleaning to do if I go that route. No?

The idea that comes to mind based on your suggestion would be to use an elbow and orientate the filter downwards and make a clean out under the filter. What do you think?

Thanks,

Joe

phil (admin)

If you still get significant debris in the bag, by all means keep the bag.  I just wouldn't introduce two bends like you pictured.

krharwood

You'd need more hose to do this, but I'd be inclined to spin the ring of the old DC 180 degrees and make one long sweeping turn rather than an "S" turn.  I suspect you'd have much less friction wrapping the hose half way around the the DC bag/filter assembly, than executing two sharp direction changes.

tenfingers

Why not raise the ring up, (longer legs) so you come straight out of the blower?

josefis

tenfingers

You could put a plywood ring on the top and put a 90 or 180 degree turn to put the filter either horizontally or vertically.

RonS

Replace the  Super Dust Deputy with a Thein TopHat per the designs on this Forum

jgt1942

In the picture, the unit on the left. Cut the three pipes, install extensions to raise the height to allow a straight shot from the impeller output. I'm assuming you want to install a filter on it. Otherwise as Phil suggested, just scratch it.