Delta 50-760 20 gallon version result. What about yours?

Started by tool_fool, October 24, 2011, 01:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tool_fool

Back in June I showed off my Thien lid in a series of photos. Today, after shaking the heck out of the filter bag and going to lunch, I finally took a photo and carefully (albeit unscientifically) measured the result. The pic shows a plastic jar into which I dumped the contents of the original DC bag and the metal can content - - about 23+ times that of the jar, or about 96%.  True, I did not consider many factors such as compression, weight, or particulate size.  The only measure of concern to me is emptying frequency.

Anybody care to share and compare?

A+, Phil.  Thanks again!

retired2

What I want to know is how does your separator put all the coarse waste in the can and the fines in the jar? ;D

Rick T

I completed my 'top hat' version several months ago using the standard approach and what I think is a 30 gal rubbermade garbage pail. I've emptied it a few times now. Virtually all the dust goes into the pail and almost nothing is in the filter or clear collection bag... By nothing, I mean an ounce or so. To be fair, this system is connected to my planer, TS and BS so it's heavily weighted to medium to larger particles. I tried to connect it to my oscillating sander which has a 2 1/2" port but the constriction caused the DC to try and collapse the garbage pail. I would/will have to provide another source of air that's "tune-able" to use it with the smaller port equipment like router table and sander. In the meantime, I use my shop vac equipped with Dust Deputy for that equipment.
As an experiment I did try a few gallons of very fine dust and the separator deposited that into the collection pail rather than the bag or filter.
I am using 5" flex hose to equipment, 5" between top hat and impeller housing, and I have a Wynn Environmental pleated filer.
wrt hose size, I had been using 4" before installing the separator and found it clogged the filter fairly quickly which was irritating. I'm not sure if the higher velocity in the 4" affects the separators ability to do it's job or not?? The 5" line seems a better compromise between volume and velocity of air flow.

Mike.Davison

Very nicely done and perhaps just what I'm looking for. Mind if I ruthlessly copy your work?  :)

Would you mind providing a few details about your implementation? 5" hose is easier enough to find, but would you identify the fittings  you used for those 5" hose? Looking at the normal sources, I don't see a similar fitting. Approximate diameter of your 'top hat?" Approximate height?

Thanks, Mike

Rick T

Hi Mike, copy away if you wish. That's what I did. Mine is just a copy of what some of the other folks here did so you will find standard designs in the threads here. I built mine basically using 1/2" plywood rather than 3/4" MDF.. lighter, stronger, less dust and cheap for G1S. I used acrylic for the round section where some use wood, kerfed to make it bend. It's @ 6" tall with both inlet and exhaust pipes being 5" dia HVAC galvanized 26 gauge pipe. i bought 1 length of the round snap-lock pipe.. @ 30" I think is standard and cut it into 2 pieces.. one piece @ 7" for the top exit and used the balance for the inlet pipe from the shop equipment. The HVAC is inserted @ 3" (or 1/2 the height) into the top hat from the top. 5" flex hose fits snugly over the HVAC pipe. The Delta 50-760 has a 5" port so I just cut off a piece of the 5" flex hose and used it to join the 'top hat' to the DC.
My old rubbermade garbage pail is @ 20" dia so I made the 'top hat' @ 2" larger than the dia of the outside of the rim on the garbage can. The rim is @ 1" wide so I cut a separate circular ring @ 1" wide (21" ID and 22" OD) that is a snug fit to the outside of the rim and attached that to the bottom platform of the top hat to form a good seal between the separator and garbage pail.
Mine isn't very sophisticated compared to some with enhancements like the round-to-rectangular entry duct and the bell-end pipe, but it works well, costs @ 1/4 sheet of plywood scrap and a length of HVAC pipe and 1/2 days work (including 2-3 mandatory coffee breaks!).
I think this is a pretty low loss design with 5" in and 5" out, and that dia pipe to my equipment is about what seems to work effectively to move the dust with my DC's performance.

Mike.Davison

jbmarker

Hello to all you wood workers and baffle enthusiasts. I've been reading the forum for a couple of months and will eventually build a baffle. My only question now is: Why do I get a "Web page unavailable" notice when I try to open one of the attached photos and how do I remedy this?

Thanks
JB Marker in Alaska

retired2

Quote from: jbmarker on October 28, 2011, 04:18:08 PM

My only question now is: Why do I get a "Web page unavailable" notice when I try to open one of the attached photos and how do I remedy this?

Thanks
JB Marker in Alaska

All photos, or just some?
Attached photos or linked photos?
What browser?

jbmarker

retired2

Quote from: jbmarker on November 11, 2011, 07:35:11 PM

Attached photos and I'm using Chrome.

Thanx

Unfortunately, I do not use Chrome, so I don't know if that is where the problem is or not.  I use Internet Explorer 8 and Mozilla Firefox 3.6.8.  Both work fine and for the most part I am using default settings.

You could try downloading a free copy of Firefox to see if that solves the problem.  If it doesn't then the next place to look is software that you might be running to prevent spam or malware from reaching your computer.  If you are not running any anti-malware software, check your firewall settings.

Sub-Dooood

I use Chrome and have never had problems displaying pics, I doubt that is the issue.

retrowood

RickT,
Very nice work, Can you supply a overall height dimension of your assembled unit  for me? I need something mobile and have a overhead garage door opening I need to clear. Thanks,
Retrowood,

Quote from: Rick T on October 27, 2011, 06:04:55 AM
I completed my 'top hat' version several months ago using the standard approach and what I think is a 30 gal rubbermade garbage pail. I've emptied it a few times now. Virtually all the dust goes into the pail and almost nothing is in the filter or clear collection bag... By nothing, I mean an ounce or so. To be fair, this system is connected to my planer, TS and BS so it's heavily weighted to medium to larger particles. I tried to connect it to my oscillating sander which has a 2 1/2" port but the constriction caused the DC to try and collapse the garbage pail. I would/will have to provide another source of air that's "tune-able" to use it with the smaller port equipment like router table and sander. In the meantime, I use my shop vac equipped with Dust Deputy for that equipment.
As an experiment I did try a few gallons of very fine dust and the separator deposited that into the collection pail rather than the bag or filter.
I am using 5" flex hose to equipment, 5" between top hat and impeller housing, and I have a Wynn Environmental pleated filer.
wrt hose size, I had been using 4" before installing the separator and found it clogged the filter fairly quickly which was irritating. I'm not sure if the higher velocity in the 4" affects the separators ability to do it's job or not?? The 5" line seems a better compromise between volume and velocity of air flow.

Rick T

Quote from: retrowood on November 17, 2011, 11:37:49 AM
RickT,
Very nice work, Can you supply a overall height dimension of your assembled unit  for me? I need something mobile and have a overhead garage door opening I need to clear. Thanks,
Retrowood,

Quote from: Rick T on October 27, 2011, 06:04:55 AM

Not sure which dimensions you need but following is a sketch that I hope makes some sense to you and is useful.
The overall dimensions are (L x W  x H) 36" x 21" x71".
The width depends on what you use for a collection pail. In my case I used an old rubbermade garbage pail I had which fit the space on the DC cart. The pail is @ 22" high and @ 19" dia. The separator is a few inches wider (larger dia) than the pail in order seal around the outer rim of the pail. On mine, the separator is just an inch or so wider than the cart, and is contingent on the size of the pail chosen. I wanted a reasonable amount of space between the top of the separator and the bottom of the impeller deck so I could easily slide the collection pail in and out . In my case I ended up with 8-9" and just connected the separator to the impeller port with 5" dia flex pipe. That amount of  flex pipe worked out well because there's a slight misalignment between the port and  'top hat' port, and also I can just tilt the 'top hat' to slide the pail in and out easily. The hose is strong enough to hang the top hat  when the pail is removed. Small items but important if you haven't considered them before hand.
I've filled the pail 2-3 times since last posting here and it works very well. From my planer and jointer (the chore at hand) it got about 100% capture rate. I used the standard 1 1/4" drop slot recommended and it seems good for general woodworking dust. I did overfill the collection pail once and it will pack the dust in until it's absolutely full to the bottom of the separator, and then start by-passing to the collection bag..
I ask the question here about locating the collection pail with the DC as I have done vs locating it down-stream,ie beside planer/jointer etc. The consensus was that no major performance difference either way. I haven't tried moving the collection pail yet to confirm that to be true. It seems that you can locate the pail where it's best suited for your equipment layout, floor plan and ease of emptying the pail.   

retrowood

RickT,
Thanks very much for supplying not only the dimensioned drawing but also the details of your DC project. I believe the overall height will work fine for me as my limitation was the overhead garage door opening I needed to clear and at 71" I'm good to go.
Thanks,
Retrowood