old style Jet lid retrofit

Started by Thunderslide, July 17, 2008, 08:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunderslide

Do you think this is a worth while lid to attempt the baffle?

phil (admin)

The baffle could be adapted to that design, provided that the center tube doesn't extend too fart into the can (or can be shortened).  The baffle should provide better separation (you already said you don't get much in the way of chips to your DC so it sounds like it already works pretty well), and the ability to fill it more before stuff starts passing through.

Thunderslide

the center opening is simply a hole, I control how far it is inserted.  because of the size of the trash can I 42" tall by 24" dia.  getting it over full, gets it over heavy. I have a basement shop so what goes down must come up.  I have no direct pipes to the DC. this way I keep chips and other debris from potentially damaging my blower fins. works prettw well  I may make one just to see. I am wondering why JET quit selling that version?  do the not work well? mine seems to but I dont have a comparision.

Thanks.

phil (admin)

Quote from: Thunderslide on July 18, 2008, 02:02:20 PM
I am wondering why JET quit selling that version?  do the not work well? mine seems to but I dont have a comparision.

Thanks.

On the contrary, I think it was probably one of the best.  Perhaps the mold broke and they decided not to fix it.  Hard to know.

Thunderslide

Phil,

with the lid I have I need almost no gap between the bottom of the lid and the top of the baffle.   now while I realize that is not the right answer, do you have a recommended gap to start with my lid? additionally I wa using my planer (DW735) thaqt has a built in fan.  If I turn on my planer I can see the lower bag increase tension.  with the blower and collector both running I get more scour then with DC running. I have yet to try not running the DC and see the results of the planer pushing.

phil (admin)

I'd go with 5" to start.  You need enough space to allow air to move w/ the least amount of resistance.  But you don't want so much that you start to needlessly cut down on the capacity of the can, either.

In any regard, I just measured what I'm using and I have a little more than 5".

Thunderslide

thanks I'll have to modify my can. it is necked down slightly to allow the lid to fit over. in order to make the baffle fit tight on the 270? portion I'll need to make it a cylinder first.  Thanks again.

Sub-Dooood

I picked up one of these Jet separator lids at a garage sale recently, figuring it was cheap enough to try to experiment with.  I had to make an MDF rim to make the lid fit a 30 gallon steel trash can, but that didn?t prove too difficult.

I did place a Thein baffle 5? below the lid, with the inlet of the lid at approximately halfway on the 120 degree tab.  Unfortunately, I had recently emptied my older DC so I had very little material with which to test the setup.  Hopefully I?ll get off work at a decent time sometime this week and run a few boards through the tablesaw and planer.  I?ll post results and pictures at that time.  The initial "test" of some dust near the TS and chips around the drill press had everything stay in the bottom of the trash can, with no evidence of anything in the DC bags...

Thunderslide

I made the baffle last night.  Worked well at 5"  I ran out of chips to fill the hopper to capacity.  I did empty the bag on the collertor and it is still empty.   I think it is a success, not sure I'll bother reducing the spacer height. 

Thanks Phil!!!!!!

Thunderslide

Hey Phil,

baffle worked AWESOME.  filled the barrel right to the bottom of the baffle.  THANKS!!!!!!!

phil (admin)

Nice work!

The chips look kinda dark, what were ya planing?

Thunderslide

Nice work, more like okay work (by me) great research!!!! (by YOU)

some walnut that I harvested from my parents house. ;D ;D ;D Oh for free, Oh portable BS feller was building saws.  cut the wood for a demo of his saw for FREE....  a little stealth gloat.