Question about implementing with HF 1HP DC

Started by hiptech, March 28, 2011, 10:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hiptech

Greetings Everyone...

This is my first post and I've learned a great deal here and am really appreciative for all the great info Phil and you guys provide. I'm a novice at woodworking and still learning about dust collection so please excuse me for any "noob" questions.

Before I started really understanding all that was involved in woodworking I purchased some inexpensive tools at HF. One of which was their Central Machinery 31810http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon-industrial-portable-dust-collector-31810.html. This is not the little red unit which produces a higher airflow, but the one rated at 660cfm. I also have a Craftsman 16gal/5.25hp shop vac.

My tool collection consists primarily of a Bosch 4000 table saw, Bosch 1617EVSPK router kit, an Hitachi 12' compound miter saw, an HF adjustable full Size router table with router, an HF oscillating spindle sander, an HF belt and disc sander, HF tiny drill press and a few other various small power tools. I'm only an occasional user but I have some ideas for future home improvement projects.

My concern is the HF 1HP DC unit. As expected, I used it once and the results were very unsatisfying to say the least. Had I known then what I know now... let's just say I would have sprung for the larger 2HP unit. Since it technically is more than a year later (I acquired most of these tools well before I began using them) it's way too late to return/exchange it.

I guess the bottom line question is this, is this little low cfm HF 1HP DC adequate for use in a dust separator design? Or should I concentrate on incorporating the shop vac? BTW, I plan to start small using either an existing 5-gal plastic bucket or purchasing a 10-gal galvanized can.

Thanks again for the great info, designs and help...

hiptech

Thanks Chuck for your prompt reply. You're correct regarding the hose diameter for the tools not having a 4" dust port. I've tried using 4" to 2-1/4" adapters from Woodcraft that I've installed on each tool but I don't think they're helping. BTW, given the 2" diameter exhaust port constraints would I be better off staying with that size for the separator or continue using the 4" diameter even though it necks down at each tool?

I also agree with you concerning the DC "canvas" dust bag... virtually useless. But more concerning to me is the lack of CFMs. I'm surprised you didn't mention how inadequate the 660 cfm vacuum is. I half expected to hear that I should stick with the shop vac instead of the DC.

As for the separator container, I haven't found any good 20 gal models, least not locally and inexpensively. All the 31-gal galvanized cans I found at HD look sort of thin too. I've read here where some ppl are experiencing some "puckering" even with the metal cans. Can someone make a recommendation? Is there any reason to believe the 5-gal plastic bucket might not work at least for me as a first effort (it's interior is smoother and walls seems thicker than most of metal cans I've seen)?

Anyway, thanks again for your input.

Sub-Dooood

You may wish to track down a 7 gallon bucket as a separator for your current tools with the 2 1/4" port, to be used with your shop vac.  You may be able to pick one up at a swimming pool (it's a common size for pool chemicals to come in), apartment complex, etc.  You could also order one online, one source would be U.S. Plastic Corp.  After you get the baffle and the inlet/outlet installed you would still have at least 5 gallons of waste collection capacity.  The tools you have would be relatively light generators of dust and chips, nothing like the waste generated by a jointer or planer.  Another advantage of the 7 gallon bucket in this usage is the smaller diameter could improve the separation efficiency of finer dust particles, at least according to some who post here.

Here's a couple pics of the separator I set up for use with my Fein shop vac...

Edit to add a suggestion to get a CleanStream filter for your shop vac.  This will provide near HEPA quality filtering, improving the air quality in your shop.

hiptech

Thank you very much Sub-Dooood, this design looks like it might be exactly what I need...
I will try to locate a 7-gal bucket so I can get started soon.

BTW, I really like the side intake style. Does it help minimize the baffle intrusion within the bucket compared with the double hose through the lid design?

Sub-Dooood

The side inlet eliminates a source of turbulence in the upper chamber, which in my opinion should increase the separation efficiency of the finer dust in the debris stream (less turbulence would allow more of the fine dust to hug the side of the pail until it could fall below the baffle).  This is conjecture on my part, but I must say this separator is very effective because in over two years of use with a random orbit sander, oscillating spindle sander, router/router table, general shop cleanup, cleaning the car, etc., I have yet to have the need to clean the filter in the vacuum.  I suspect that making the top chamber about twice as deep as needed and extending the outlet pipe further in (2" instead of the 3/4" recommended for an 1.5" outlet) may also be contributing to the working efficiency of this build, but again, I have no scientific "basis" for this feeling.

hiptech

Well, I managed to locate this sturdy pool chemical container which I'm now fairly certain will not work.  :(

I kept thinking it might lend itself to a side intake design but I believe the square sides are not conducive for it. Also, it's now very apparent the top is considerably smaller than the body which definitely makes fitting any baffle inside virtually impossible. Not to mention I've yet to see anyone do a square baffle?

Guess I got so excited by my find I lost sight of the impractical shape. The search continues...

galerdude

Maybe you could use it with a top hat design ???

Gale