News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Which is better

Started by JFurjanic, May 20, 2009, 04:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JFurjanic

Good morning all, newbie here. I have been reading the neumerous post here and from the Bill Pentz site as well. Trying to read the Bill Pentz information has left me a bit confused(too much information and too technical, not to mention too costly for my pocketbook), fortunately this site has brought me to an understanding that I can deal with as far as being able to collect the fine dust in my small workshop and not be too financially restrictive.
I am currently looking at purchasing a DC, looking at the new JET DC100ck and the Delta 50-760. Both claim to have 1.5HP but the CFM differ by 100 (1100 for Jet and 1200 for Delta) also the price difference, the JET is just about double the Delta. So for a small shop that I plan on just using this to collect dust from only one machine at a time which would be the better one?

Thank You ,

John

phil (admin)

Some random thoughts...

I think you meant the Jet DC1100CK instead of DC100CK?

The price different is partly the filter, which on the Jet is a cart. filter, and on the Delta is a bag filter.

I think the reviews have shown the Delta gets closer to its rated specs than the Jet...

If I had time I'd look on craigslist for a used 1-1/2 HP unit that can upgraded with a cart. filter.  Perhaps I'd even throw a wanted ad out there.  There are quite a few garages with nice dust collectors sitting unused in a corner.

Sub-Dooood

I have a Delta 50-760 and can attest to it's effectiveness when hooked up to one machine at a time.  I bought it from Amazon about a year ago when Delta had a $50 rebate and my net cost was low enough that I splurged on a pleated canister filter from Wynn Environmental.  I've since placed a separator using Phil's baffle underneath and the system works very well.

I don't have any direct experience with the Jet but am quite satisfied with the value and performance of the Delta unit.  The reviews I've seen consistently rate the 50-760 at or near the top when compared to other 1.5 hp DC's.

Steve

Astrowood

Steve
            What size of hose are you running to your machine ?

Roy

dbhost

For the money of the Delta, and mind you I REALLY like the 50-760, I think you would be better off with a Harbor Freight #97869 2Hp DC bought on sale, and fitted with a Wynn cartridge filter and Thien baffle. The larger surface area of a pleated filter allows for much improved airflow...

Now if $$ were no object, and I was restricted to 110V, I would do the Wynn / Thien setup on a Delta 50-760 in a hot second. But that is not what you are asking about...

The Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=97869 #97689 frequently goes on sale for $179.00, and if you catch one of Harbor Freight's 20% off any single item coupons you can pick one up for $143.20, add to that a Wynn 35A http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm cartridge kit, either paper blend at $103.00 (+ S&H) or $147.00 (+ S&H), add another $10.00 for a piece of MDF, cheap ply, or whatnot and mounting hardware for the Thien Baffle, and not counting taxes, or S&H you would be out a grand total of $256.20 for the entire rig using a paper blend filter ( 99.99 % efficient at 0.5 micron), or $300.20 for the entire rig with the spun bond poly filter (99.995% efficient at 1.0 micron and above).  This setup is in use in a LOT of shops all over the place for good reason. It works very well, and it is relatively inexpensive...

I know Bill Pentz recommends .5 micron and below, however he ALSO recommended on his site the spun bond polyester filters... Go figure... Anyway that is what I ended up with.

The HF can, and many users DO use this setup to go machine to machine. No matter, HF, Jet, Delta, PSI or whatnot, you will want a separator to keep the chunks and chips, at least the majority of them out of the filter, cartridge or bag... The Thien baffle works exceptionally well, and is affordable. Placing the baffle inside the inlet ring, eliminates any separator related restrictions, and keeps your setup very mobile and space efficient in the shop.

JFurjanic

Good Morning All,

Since my initial post I have done alot more reading from the pages here as well as other sites. The consenses seems to be that the HF 2hp DC seems to be the best bang for the buck. So, in staying with that I went ahead and purchased the HF DC, as well as ordered the Wynn 35A cartridge. I have started on building the Thein baffle. So far I have measured the inner diameter and as previously found in another post the inside is just about 19 inches. Also, I have found that the mitered angle for the dowels is about 31.5 degrees with a 5.5 inch length, which with a 3/16th inch baffle thickness should put the baffle at about an inch below the intake to the separator ring. Would that be correct or should the baffle be closer to the bottom edge on the intake??

Thanks,

John

phil (admin)

An inch below the inlet would be great.

Al alternative method (to dowels) is to mount from outside the ring.  You can thicken the bottom of the baffle in order to hold a screw, or even a cross-dowel.  I only mention this because someone was able to add a baffle without adding any holes to their DC by using the holes for the vertical supports.  I guess it would depend on the particular DC (where those holes are located).  But I suspect this method would work for many DC's.

Vaughn

Congrats on the new get, John. I think you'll be real happy with that combination. I know I am.

dbhost

I would try to get the baffle closer to the bottom of the inlet, but I could be wrong too...