News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

jet pre separator lid

Started by toolguy1000, March 27, 2009, 06:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toolguy1000

anyone ever come across this lid?  it sems to mimick the features in phil's lid with the center draw and the angular tool inlet.  any thoughts about this and a baffle?

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2426971900104952478zoshmA

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2059589390104952478arcuwL

dbhost

Unfortunately I cannot see it from here. BUT... if it is the lid I am thinking of, it's just a plastic version of Phil's lid design without the baffle. I am pretty sure you could add the baffle for a quick finished, store bought kind of look..

Sub-Dooood

I stumbled across that lid at a yard sale for $5 and added a Thien baffle.  It's a very efficient separator; I've emptied the trash can several times now and only have less than a cup of dust in the plastic bag.  If you track down and seal any air leaks and keep the amount of flex hose between the separator and DC to a minimum, the CFM loss is acceptable.  You can't see it in the pics, but where the hose meets the lid the connector extends below the bottom of of the lid by an inch or so.  This is important for maximizing the separation efficiency.

toolguy1000

nice application, particularly how the separator is integrated into the DC.  what model delta is the DC and what size garbage pail did you use?  also, what fitting(s) did you use attach the DC to the center of the separator lid? info appreciated.  thanks.

Sub-Dooood

The DC is a Delta 50-760 and the trash can has a 30 gallon capacity.  That's a 5" flex hose between the lid and the DC, right now I'm using a 5" to 4" reducer to to fit to the lid.  This is not an ideal solution as the fit is somewhat loose and allows an airleak.  Until I can figure something better, I just slapped some duct tape at the junction of the lid and adaptor.

There are a couple of negatives about my setup.  It got to be a pain to remove the lid when emptying the trash can, as there was insufficient clearance to the bottom of the DC.  I installed a "lift kit" on the support frame of the DC to increase the clearance, but now it's kinda wobbly plus too tall to roll under some HVAC ductwork when I need to use the DC with my planer or jointer.  For now I'm dealing with the shortcomings, but eventually I will reach a tipping point and become motivated to address the issues.  One thing I can't stress enough is how efficient the setup is at removing ALL material from the waste stream, even the fines. 

jwagner

Thanks Sub-Dooood for the pointers.  I have this lid, it works well but I'm getting ready to make the baffle this weekend.  I'm using it on a 37 gallon feed storage drum from Tractor Supply that has the same rim diameter as the largest part of the lid, and it's got a pseudo conical shape to it.  You can find it on their web page for $29.  It's got very thick walls so no issue with collapse.  I'll start a new thread when I get it made up and tested.  Like you said, the hose connections could use some work...I'm going to try to think of something there too.