News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Spreadsheet

Started by flawsnall, May 02, 2013, 09:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flawsnall

A young engineering friend put together a spreadsheet for me to help calculate my cyclone build. I think most of his data came from commercial cyclone units, but i have found it to be very helpful.

I have a small 3/4 horse blower rated at 580 cfm and a 7" Static Pressure. I thought with a smaller blower i could just downsize everything for a Tophat build. Smaller diameter, 4 inch pipe, etc, etc. Turns out to be just the opposite. Bigger everything to keep the CFM from completely disappearing.

Probably old hat to you guys, but it opened my eyes. I can play with different parameters and watch what happens to my pressure drops.

Paul

phil (admin)

Right, bigger means slower moving air, means less resistance (resistance is proportional to the square of the airspeed), which means better performance.

guy48065

Can it be posted here?  I'd like to see if there are any answers to the failure of my small-blower tophat.
http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=866.0

alan m

i too think that the spread sheet would be of a great help to the masses . everybody could learn something from it
i hope you would like to share

flawsnall

Right now i think he just has it programmed for my blower. He did do diligent research with sawdust particle size that got factored in as well as other parameters that i have no clue of. I will talk to him and see if he can make it applicable for any unit and then ask Phil about posting it. He is an environmental engineer, so it was right up his alley. I am getting the blower from his father, so that didn't hurt either.

Paul