News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

And another top hat

Started by chrism3, December 27, 2017, 10:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TX_Lenador

In addition to the comments above I would look at a different transition piece. Your current transition piece looks more like an adapter in that it mates a round fitting with a square fitting and has no real transition between the two. I would look at the transition fitting on Retired2's build (link below) as an example. Since you have a small diameter you will want to move as much of the flow to the outer wall of the separator as possible to keep it away from the outlet pipe. I would consider a transition piece with the rectangle being the height of your separator with a width that would have an area equal to the round inlet area.  Good luck.

http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=563.msg3024#msg3024

chrism3

Thanks. Looks like I am in for a re-build. We live to learn.

chrism3

I've mostly fixed the problem. I had left a sharp edge on the end of the slot, and once a piece of cypress got caught on it other pieces would build up on it. It now works beautifully - only gets stuck when I send a heavier than normal (cypress) load to it.

retired2

I recently commented in this thread and another about how I plugged my separator with wet cypress.  The most recent comment was when someone expressed concern about a threaded rod used to support the baffle being a source of potential birds nests.  My response described exactly what you are experience.  When a plug occurs, it usually starts at the end of the drop slot and then rapidly backs up until the entire slot closes off entirely

So, you are exactly correct, the end of a drop slot should be very smooth well rounded and no knife edges.

psilun

I have been reading posts on this site for the last couple of days and don't see anywhere that anyone has looked into the orientation of the inlet in relation to the DC inlet. This design as well as retired2's show the inlet on the right side. That would seem to match the rotation of the DC impeller. There are many examples of the inlet to the separator on the left. Am I making something out of nothing?

retired2

Quote from: psilun on May 15, 2018, 05:01:51 PM
I have been reading posts on this site for the last couple of days and don't see anywhere that anyone has looked into the orientation of the inlet in relation to the DC inlet. This design as well as retired2's show the inlet on the right side. That would seem to match the rotation of the DC impeller. There are many examples of the inlet to the separator on the left. Am I making something out of nothing?

This subject has been discussed countless times.  I have posted Cincinnati Fans information on air rotation and the effect on blower performance several times. Use the search function and you will find what you need. 

RobHannon

Quote from: retired2 on May 16, 2018, 03:03:57 PM
Quote from: psilun on May 15, 2018, 05:01:51 PM

This subject has been discussed countless times.  I have posted Cincinnati Fans information on air rotation and the effect on blower performance several times. Use the search function and you will find what you need.

The search function has seemed a little off the past couple days. Or my memory of what terms were used in threads I wanted to go back to.

psilun you should check out this thread: http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=550

Short answer is any air rotation going into the impeller is a negative effect on performance. A longer straight pipe between the chamber and the impeller or a straightener is the best way to deal with those losses.

retired2

This link took about a minute to find.  Search for "rotation" and filter results to "Retired2" posts.

http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=828.0

I"m sure if you repeat the process using other words or phrases you will find more threads because in the thread above it is clear from my comments that I had previously discussed the subject.

As stated, pre-rotation of air in either direction produces undesired results.  Rotation opposing the vane rotation increases the hp power requirements, while rotation in the same direction as the vane rotation lowers the CFM's produced.

RobHannon

Glad you posted that as I now see what I was doing wrong with my searches. The quick search in the upper right corner must only show recent results. If I search "rotation" there I get 5 results, 4 of them are this thread. If I use the advanced search I get many results.

retired2

Quote from: RobHannon on May 17, 2018, 07:58:32 AM
Glad you posted that as I now see what I was doing wrong with my searches. The quick search in the upper right corner must only show recent results. If I search "rotation" there I get 5 results, 4 of them are this thread. If I use the advanced search I get many results.

Good point.  The simple search is so prominent I suspect others may be using it exclusively as well.  I stopped using it so long ago so I forgot its limitations.  Ironically, the advanced search function is far less conspicuous, but far more useful.