Squishing your container during a blockage

Started by Wuffles, September 22, 2013, 07:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wuffles

So, I successfully followed the plans and made myself a fantastic separator which works beautifully. Found myself using my Festool vac in situations I wouldn't have dreamed of before. Especially now I know most of the junk wouldn't make it as far as the bag. Fantastic.

Then I got a blockage whilst I had the vac turned to the max, which took my 1mm thick steel drum (only about 350mm across) and made it look like something rescued from the bottom of the Marianas Trench. With my minimal panel beating skills I have made it kind of circular again, but wondered if anyone has managed to strengthen the inside with the use of a hoop of MDF (as an example) below the drop zone in the baffle? Although not so close as to stop the drop zone working efficiently of course.

The drums are available to buy for about £5 (GBP), which means the hard part (ie. the top) is done already and is interchangeable easily enough, so it's not the end of the world, and was clearly my own fault. I must be more careful in future  :-\

Wuffles

And whilst the original post awaits moderation on a US clock, back in the UK I can keep playing :D

It seems one of the problems with a previously "collapsed box" is the box's ability to continue collapsing with much less pressure each time. I definitely need to try and rig up some kind of skeleton to keep this thing from needing to be replaced every few days.

I was considering a ring of MDF siliconed into place about half way between the bottom of the baffle and the bottom of the can. So I guess I'm just looking for opinions and experiences.

hankh

I am using a fiber drum and have the same concern. I'm not sure that the fiber wall will support a reinforcement glued/siliconed onto to it.  I am thinkg of adding leg supports to the reinforcement from the bottom of the drum. Looking forward to hearing others' experiences and ideas.

jdon

I can't speak from experience about metal cans collapsing, but I had a 5 gallon plastic (polyethylene (or polythene, I think you say), I think)
collapse when the vacuum hose was obstructed. I solved it by nesting it inside an identical plastic pail. The double thickness does the trick for me. You might want to try rounding out your pail, and jamming it into a new pail (or vice-versa).

bbain

build yourself a simple vacuum relif valve into the top, such that it opens before the container crushes.  I made one out of a short piece of PVC, with an end cap on it, drilled 2 holes in the endcap, one on center one off center.  Then made a wooden plug to fit loosely in the pvc, covered it in rubber to make a seal, and used a bolt and a spring through the center hole of the cap to secure it.  You can adjust the pressure at witch it opens by tightening or loosening the bolt.

or youcould buy one readymade from a place that does home central vacs.  http://www.centralvacuumfactory.com/vacvalve-relief-valve-central-vacuum-systems-p-954.html

Wuffles

Nice idea.

Meanwhile I have dropped my panel-beaten tin with a sheet metal fabricators who are going to make a 1.5mm thick walled "tin can" to drop inside. This will aid as a collector and as something a bit stronger for the forces to play with. In fact, it'll possibly make the internal walls a bit rounder than it was before.

I'll look into the valve once I have it back from them.

WayTooLate

Wuf' -
You aren't the first to have this problem... 
Past solutions have been shared:
http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=461.msg2426#msg2426
http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=198.msg2435#msg2435 

Search 'relief valve' for more comments and ideas... 

Hope this helps!
Jim

Wuffles

Excellent all.

Many thanks for everyone's responses.