Get rid of the 120 deg solid area?

Started by Fytrius, January 28, 2014, 02:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fytrius

Hello!

I've seen some constructions with double height chambers and even more than that. Wondering: what about to have the slot going all the way around and fix the baffle with rods (unless you're a magician...) for these increased height chambers? When the inlet is far away from the baffle the air stream isn't going to hit the baffle before going around one to two times...

Is the 120 degree solid part important anyway?

Bulldog8

The 120 degree portion is what breaks the air stream so the dust can settle. If you only had the center portion, dust below the baffle would stay in motion and not settle as efficiently.

Fytrius

Ok. But then another question: There seems to be a certain amount of circulation under the baffle anyway. What about disturbing the circulation with something? Wooden blocks for example?

Bulldog8

Blocks under the baffle, like protruding from the wall? I certainly don't think it would hurt as long as they were not tall enough to cause turbulence above the baffle. But I really don't think there is much benefit either. In my experience it appears that once dust goes below the baffle it is separated and stays that way. I see a nice cyclonic swirl of dust/chips dipping under the baffle.

Fytrius

Quote from: Bulldog8 on January 28, 2014, 04:38:30 PM
Blocks under the baffle, like protruding from the wall?

Yes, or rather; attached on the underside of the baffle somehow.

Well, just a lot of thoughts and  trying to understand the concept. I still don't fully grasp the function of the 120/240. As you say the 120 degree part is needed to break the air stream so that "the dust can settle". But there is clearly circulation going on below the baffle. The question is if you want to minimize the the circulation as much as possible under the baffle and if you can do it without affecting it above? And if the answer is no and that you want circulation also under the baffle; what is the function of the 120 degree solid part in a "tall system"? It obviously will divide an air stream but that is in an ongoing downward spiral that would be there anyway?

alan m

i never really understood it either. it helps seperate the above from the bellow but doenst completely stop the swirl because the baffle is parralel to the air flow.

if you put some kind of vertical members bellow the baffle it would reduce the swirl.

im thinking that something like an air straightner  would work . if you used 4 " pipes say 6" long and put them all around the slot

Fytrius

Interesting! But then again - the swirl maybe is suppose to be there...?

xtal

I just finished 16 inch high unit, and I also was wondering if anybody had eliminated the 120 degree area.

My top and bottom is 5/8 partical board, I used 1/8 inch polycarb for the side, and yes the 20" circle was
difficult, especially after removing the bottom so I could Dremmel the input, I like to never got it back together..
I had no easy way of trying to form the polycarb, so I have a brute force circle, and to finally get it reassembled
I drilled 5 evenly spaced 7/8" holes in the 120 segment, need some work holes to pry on the polycarb, I have the exhaust
pipe approx 2.5 inches above the baffle, unit appears to be working quite well.