News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Delta 50-760

Started by digger, January 06, 2009, 06:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digger

From what I've read, it sounds like the DC is more efficient if I run 5" hose from the DC, with a 5" to 4" reducer at the machines. Using the y connector at the DC with the 4" ports would probably be more convenient. Would like to know if there would that much of a difference.
I will be using the DC as a portable unit, rolling from machine to machine, probably for some time.
Can I use 5" connections for the separator ?
Anything else someone can add would be appreciated. I'm not much of a mechanic, just like working with wood.
Also. my craigslist has nada regarding fiber drums. Still looking for a reasonable source. ???

Thanks guys,
Deb

Ps. Phil, is there a plan one could purchase ?

rsquest

Funny that you should bring up the issue of pipe size wrt the delta 50-760.  I just posted this on SMC:

I bought the delta 50-760.  I have not started using it yet, because I don't want to use it without building a Phil Thien Baffle/separator. 

Here is my issue:  What size pipes should I use?

Here is some background. 

The DC has an inlet that is 5 inches in dia.  I was spending a lot of time hunting down 6 inch piping, but I don't think that it makes sense to go over 5 inches.  In fact, that may even hurt my airflow (any fluid dynamics guys out there?).  OK, so let's say I decide to go with 5 inch ... that is even harder to find.  So now I am at the point that I am thinking that I should just go with 4 inch since the materials are readily available.  (and for those of you who are fans of Phil's design, you know that it is simpler to make the 4 inch version of the baffle.)  I could have this up and running in a couple of hours.

Please share your thoughts.
Ray

OH, and I should add that I will have very short runs to my machines ... and may even just roll it to the machines for a while.

digger

Pretty much in the same place. Let me know what you hear and I will do the same.

Found some hosing etc, on....http://www.outlettools.com/

rsquest

OK, I decided to go with 5" since that is the inlet size on my DC.  I am going to use an A/C floor duct -- which has a rectangular end which I will attach to the side of the trash can.  The other end is a 5 in. cylinder.  I am going to snip the rectangular end so that it has som flange pieces.  I will cut the similar rectangle in my trash can.  Now I am looking for the best way to attach it.

I think that I will put the flanges on the inside of the trash can and use rivets construction adhesive and silicone caulk to get a seal.  I may put in on the outside, though ... so as to avoid having to make the hole the exactly correct size.  Any ideas welcome on this. 

My outlet (to my DC) is going to be 5 in and go directly from the baffle lid to the DC.

Ray

digger

Sounds like a great plan. Can you post pictures ? I do much better seeing
something as opposed to just reading about it.

Thanks

RBOETTCHER

I have had similar questions with my PSI DC-2. The blower inlet is 6", the outlet is rectangular, with a converter to 5" round to the bag ring. When I got it, the inlet to the blower had twin 4" inlets, so I assume the blower can handle, 2 times the area of a 4" line, 25 sq. in. total. Early on I set up a network of 8" runs, reducing to 4" at the machines. When I moved my shop and dismantled this system, the 8" runs were half full of chips and dust.

What I learned is that pipe size is very important, and going too large reduces the feet per minute of air flow, and the large material can drop out. Too small and you choke the system. See Bill Pentz web site for detailed discussions of this sort of thing.

My current system is using 4" runs, with bag filters. I recently put a plastic bag inside the lower bag of the two bag system, but this greatly reduced my air flow. I am now in the process of building a Thein baffle head for my garbage can, with a 6" inlet coming in the side, and 6" going up to the blower. For now I plan to reduce the 6" inlet to 4" to use my current plumbing set up and see how it goes.

I have ordered a cartridge filter from Wynn and have put a baffle in the bag ring, so the lower bag will be clear plastic. I hope the double baffle system isn't overkill, but everything is reversible in the end.

I will upload pix sometime soon.

Good luck with your projects.

Bob

Greg McCallister

Bob,

I took my HF DC which I believe is not near as strong as the Delta and am running 6" PVC duct.
The inlet to the DC had a Y with two 4" connector going into a 5".
I modified the 5" plate to 6" and I have had no problems with any collection of anything in the 6".
However I hardly ever run two 4" runs at the same time.
Usually one 4" and a 2 1/4 at most.
You can see my version of Phils baffle on this thread.
I just emptied it again and now I have to make one of Mr. Wong's window in the can. Yep it got overfilled.
The can was filled to the top. Had some overfill in the filter/bag area and if I want to modify that, I will make sure to update the can with a window for sure.
Good luck on your baffle. It will change your dust collection expectations.
Which Wynn filter did you get - the paper or the woven poly?
I got the paper but now wish I would of got the other.