News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Overhead blade guard

Started by Bulldog8, September 04, 2012, 03:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog8

Just posting to see if it helps Phil test the new forum settings.

Over the summer, I've added an overhead blade guard to my Uni-saw. I never installed the stock blade guard and chose to just use a Delta splitter instead. That system worked well and I never found myself getting so near the spinning blade that I felt I was doing something stupid or dangerous. Actually it seems like an open blade provides a visual reference and keeps me aware. However, I am slightly allergic to sawdust. (especially oak and cedar) That has led me to wanting to improve dust collection above the blade. I chose a Shark guard. For overhead use it comes with a guard and bracket only with none of the struts for mounting.

It is up to each individual user to fabricate the mounting hardware to use the guard overhead. I don't have many metal working tools or a welder, just metal cutting blades for my woodworking tools, files grinder etc. The struts and hardware were all items that I picked up from Lowe's and the entire assembly was bolted together. I wanted to be able to do all of my normal cutting operations with the guard in place so it was important to me to design a system that would allow me to adjust the guard side to side as well as up and down. I have retained the Delta drop in splitter and anti kick back pawls as the Shark Guard fits over it.

Here is a picture from the rear.

If necessary it can be removed quickly and hung from the mount.

Steve

phil (admin)

That is a very nice bit of engineering there!  I'll bet it helps tremendously!

How do the knobs about three feet up from the table work?  Do you loosen something and then lift the unit?  Or are they more like pins that you remove to slide the unit up/down, and then reinsert the pin?

Bulldog8

They are knobs with threaded inserts to allow for adjustment.

The flat washer like portion is on the inside of the tube and was just the right size to make up the difference between the tube with holes and the solid stuff. The knobs themselves were stock off the shelf but I shortened the threaded portion somewhat.

phil (admin)

Pillguy

What do you do when you need to make really fine cuts ,narrow thAt is....
Very nice design