Drum sanding results with the baffle

Started by Bulldog8, January 16, 2011, 12:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog8

Here are my results using the Thien baffle to separate out the fine powder produced by a drum sander. When I built the baffle, I also increased the diameter of my main run from 4" to 6" and replaced the top filter bag on my DC with a Wynn filter. I have a significant increase in air flow, There is a very noticeable increase in the pickup of fines at the drum sander.

This pic shows the amount of fine dust captured by the separator. I didn't start with a completely empty barrel, there was 2 passes of a piece of walnut through the planer before I started the sanding operation.

After taking the picture of the drum, I re-installed it and used an air gun to blow down the filter. There was little to no dust in the bottom plastic bag until I blew the filter out.

This is fell to the bottom bag after blowing down the filter.

With my old setup (bag filter and trash can pre-separator,  my upper filter bag would become so clogged that the amount of collection from the sander was almost nothing. Is my version of the Thien baffle as effective as a true cyclone? I don't know, I don't have one. I will say that I am impressed with the amount of scrubbing I have achieved. Cleaning the Wynn filter after sanding is a heck of a lot easier than trying to unclog the filter bag.

pitbull

Good info Bulldog. Glad to see positive results for lots of fine sanding dust ending up there.

I am sure the 6" ducting is probably the single most effective thing you could have done to scrub this, and having the Wynne filter is huge for maintenance and flow.

I am always amazed at the number of people who spend a good amount of money on a collection system and then skimp on proper sized ducting because it saves money, or the volume of mis information out there.

What most people find out after the fact is that ducting usually costs much more than the initial equipment investment. I know a couple guys that run 2 systems instead of running lots of pipe. It turned out to be the same cost, but they get better flow rates to all machines.

BTW, I found a good source for high quality/custom duct work that is very affordable. I placed my order with them yesterday after talking to them for a little while. I will let you know how it turns out. The pricing is the best I have seen and shipping was much better than the big name suppliers.

http://www.kencraftcompany.com/Dustindex.htm

galerdude

Very impressive! Looks like I will be using your version as a guide in designing and building mine.

Thanks, Gale

Bulldog8

Make sure that you check out Pitbull and VAWoodworkers baffles. They provide a lot of details on the process. I based mine on what they did and added my own touches.

Steve

galerdude

Yes, I've looked those over also and really like the whole 'top hat' principle. I was just really drawn to your use of the clear poly carbonite which I have access to.

Thanks again,
Gale