New Seperator Crushing 30 gal Metal Can

Started by Hoss, April 11, 2009, 01:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoss

Howdy all and thanks for all the great ideals.  I just finished building my first Lid for a 30gal trash can and have a issue I can't seem to solve. 

Every time I turn on the shop vac I get so much suction the metal trash can starts collapsing and crushing in.  If I try and suck up dust it seems to work great but the longer I use it the more the can keeps crushing.  I can't believe this metal can is doing this but any ideals or suggestions anyone has would be great.

Thanks again!

-Randy

dbhost

That happens IF you have a blockage in the system. I am on 30 gallon trash can #2 by the way... I found this out bey experience...

My planer tends to jam up the hard line, and then the vac sucks up the trash can...

And mine doesn't have the rubber gasket like you put on yours...

phil (admin)

For shop-vac based system you need a real tough container.  Like a steel drum.  Many of the garbage cans are so light-weight they just can't handle the power of the vac.

And what dbhost says.   ;D

rhossack

Would it help if you had a 4" pipe necked down to 2 1/2"?  Would that slow down the volume of
air that could cause the can to crush?

Hoss

Thanks guys for the feedback, looks like I am going to have to find another "can" for my separator.  Back to the drawing board! ;-)

dbhost

My shop vac based system has a 20 gallon trash can...