Unboxing Harbor Freight Dust Collector - Damaged Part??

Started by BKP, September 15, 2020, 10:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BKP

So I just got home with my 1st Dust Collector, A Harbor Freight 2HP.  While unboxing I see this: (first 2 images).  I did manage to bend it all back into place.  It's much better, but it's not smooth, nor are the conical pans edges sealed well to the sides (2nd two images)

Question is: Can I seal the whole edge with caulk and live with this warped conical pan?  Will this effect the performance?  Or is this a deal breaker?  I plan on adding a pre-separator in the future.

Thanks!

PS  I have no experience with dust collectors.
I plan on adding a pre-separator in the future.
This would be a pain to return, and the stores around here are out of them.

Anonymous2020

Not sure about the crinkle. I'm guessing (without any first hand experience) that it won't be a noticeable problem.  The flow there is already going to be turbulent, so maybe the crinkle with induce a little more turbulence and slightly greater pressure drop, but I'm guessing that it would be small.

Again guessing about the openings at the periphery, I think they have to be sealed.  The separator works on the principle of particles being moved to the wall by centrifugal force while the air eventually moves radially inwards to the center to exit from the center opening. An air path that lets air escape from the periphery would interfere with the collection process.

BKP

UPDATE:  I took it back and got a different part.  It's MUCH better!
Thanks