News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

suction loss

Started by wannabedivin, February 13, 2014, 07:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannabedivin

We all know that using a seperator causes a suction loss.  Is there a difference in the amount of loss between a 1T and a 2T separator, or are they the same?

retired2

Quote from: wannabedivin on February 13, 2014, 07:53:08 AM
We all know that using a seperator causes a suction loss.  Is there a difference in the amount of loss between a 1T and a 2T separator, or are they the same?

I'm not trying to be flippant, but the way you get an answer to that question is build one of each, install them in the same system one at a time, and take air flow readings using a test instrument.  Short of that you are dealing with subjective answers and guesses.

I'm not even certain everyone who has a top hat design, similar or the same as mine, would see the same measured losses as I did.  I have to believe they would be close, but there are a lot of variables in every DC system.

phil (admin)

My experiments with double-high units has been with shop vacs, which aren't as sensitive to resistance as a conventional DC blower.  The 2H units have been measurably better, though, and I imagine the difference would be greater with a DC.

But retired2 is correct, there are a lot of variables, right down to how good a job people do construction-wise.  Generalities can be made, but that is about it.

tvman44

Phil, I am trying to remember has most of your work been with the top hat design or in the barrel type separators? :)

phil (admin)

Quote from: tvman44 on February 14, 2014, 09:07:29 AM
Phil, I am trying to remember has most of your work been with the top hat design or in the barrel type separators? :)

Early on it was all in-barrel, except for a few I did where I removed the ring from a DC and used that as a top hat.

Lately it has been top-hat prototypes but I've been working with a shopvac size first.