Creating baffle for my Delta 50-760

Started by Brian Marks, February 20, 2009, 11:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennybmn

Hey guys nice job customizing your DC! I have the small Jet model, similar to that, which I may do a pre-separator for, but right now I just have a baffle inside the DC itself. Working well so far...

Those flexible rubber PVC connectors are great. I've used a couple straight ones around my shop to act as semi-quick releases for tubing runs across the floor, in case I need to roll anything by. I toss a 5/16 socket, or whatever size it is, on my driver to loosen and tighten the band clamps, makes quick work of it!

Question for you: I got mine used, and it didn't come with the Y fitting. Would anyone be willing to part with theirs? If not, it's all good, but I figured if they were just collecting dust, no punn intended!

toolguy1000

sub-doood.... am i understanding you correctly in that you are using an "off the shelf" sparator lid with a baffle similar to the featured item? 

Brian Marks

QuoteQuestion for you: I got mine used, and it didn't come with the Y fitting. Would anyone be willing to part with theirs? If not, it's all good, but I figured if they were just collecting dust, no punn intended!

I would have gladly given it, but unfortunately I cracked mine when removing it.

bennybmn

JimD

My cartridge filter should arrive this week and probably go on this weekend.  I have a smaller Delta DC - an AP-400 - with the same arrangement of inlet, blower and bags.  So this post is very interesting.

I looked at the source of the drum listed and also a place I use for things like this - McMaster Carr - and I have a question.  Has anybody tried a fiber drum for this application?  McMaster has a 47 gallon fiber drum rated for 400 lbs of contents with a similar closure mechanism for $35.94 - or about half what a steel drum would cost.  They also have several sizes so there should be one that would fit.  A fiber drum should be easier to modify with woodworking tools.  On the other hand, it might fall apart after awhile wasting the money and time.

My other question is just pros and cons of adding a baffle before the bag versus having the separate drum separator.  The baffle seems a lot simpler but probably doesn't work as well?  If it is just the ease of emptying the drum versus the bag, I would probably skip the drum but better separation might make it worth it.

Comments?

dbhost

Advantage of using the baffle / pre separator is that debris does not impact your impeller, and there is a HUGE reduction in fines that your bearings and such are exposed to.

Advantage of using the baffle IN the inlet ring, saves valuable floor space, no loss of suction through the cyclone section prior to the impeller.

FWIW, and I am deeply concerned about floor space, I am building a pre-separator for my rig...

bennybmn

Quote from: dbhost on March 18, 2009, 10:20:42 AM
Advantage of using the baffle IN the inlet ring, saves valuable floor space, no loss of suction through the cyclone section prior to the impeller.

I would think it would also help with separation too, right?

toolguy1000

jim d...what make and model cartridge filter are you planning to use?  i also have an ap 400 and would like something better than the 5 micron bag mine came with,  thanks.

dbhost

Toolguy,

Highland Woodworking, and Rockler both carry 1 micron shaker felt bags in a few sizes. You COULD see which one of those fits your AP400.

The Wynn 35A cartridge filters *fit* with some modification to the DC. (See the application notes page http://www.wynnenv.com/notes.htm for complete details.)

I have a 35A Spun Bond Poly on my HF 2HP DC and it was a real simple add on. 1 micron filtration, lots of surface area. I was honestly debating between the Delta 50-760 / Wynn combo or the HF-DC / Wynn combo. The HF honestly beat the Delta out on price...

toolguy1000

dbhost.. the link appears to be non functional.  can you provide any other info regarding these "wynn" filters?

dbhost

Not sure why you can't click the link. Works fine here. Tested with Windoze XP with Firefox and I.E., also tested it on RHEL 5 with Firefox...

Do a Google search for Wynn Environmental. http://www.wynnenv.com/They provide industrial filters for dust and fume collection.

And then take a look at Bill Pentz' web site. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm for more infrmation than you could ever want to know about the science and engineering of a dust collection system.

Bill Pentz is the most commonly cited expert in the field of woodworking workshop dust collection and control. He worked with the guys at Wynn Environmental to develop the 35A cartridge filter for your typical hobbyist woodworking dust collector.

The advantages of the pleated filter for a dust collector, are the same advantages that your car air filter is pleated. MUCH more filter area gets exposed to the air stream, allowing greater air flow while maintaining filtering efficiency. The filter efficiency of the Wynn 35A is sufficient to filter out the nasties you do not want to be inhaling for your health sake...

dbhost

If you have a small metal working shop nearby, drag that thing in and see if you can't get that brace patched in the gap and welded up... Not super important, but would sure add an extra measure of professionalism to it...

I have seen a few of these set up like this... You may want to change that 90 degree elbow out for a 45 though, you already make almost 45 with the universal port anyway... and I think it may work a little better for you...

I really like my HF 2HP DC, but if I could have forked over the cash for one, I would have much rather had the 50-760 fitted with a Wynn and Thein baffle equipped barrel like you did...