newbie questions, trash can lid seperator

Started by nerd turner, November 03, 2013, 06:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nerd turner

I'm going to be building a trash can separator for my harbor freight collector. I've tried with just a 90 in through the lid and then out to the dust collector. Just like the premade lids you can buy.  I got horrible results. Everything would go through and I would get next to nothing in the trash can. Im going to be upgrading to a wynn filter so i want to get this sorted out so i dont get a lot of chips in it. So I'm trying the baffle design and hoping for better results. Obviously it works, me building it so it works is a different story.
I'm going to be building it using a metal trash can. Last time I used a plastic can and it would suck in so much i was worried it would collaspe.
The first problem I see is the metal can has ridges formed in it. The plan is to make a new "lid" that my connections pass through out of OSB and use dowles as the stand offs to the baffle. With these ridges in the can though my baffle won't be 100% against the can sides. Is that going to cause a problem? With it just sitting ontop of the can will I get a good enough seal? Should I add weather stripping or something around the circumference of the can?
I appreciate any help.

Artie1085

I did a build with a 10 gal metal trash can attached to an old sears vacuum. Small hose and pvc fittings not even glued in place just force fit. Some times if there is a lot of chips from my Rigid 4510 I get some blowby from the side of the blade enclosure but it falls to the floor under the saw. My top is amde of 3/4 mdf with a groove 1/2 in  from the edge to fit the ca and self stick weatherstrip in the groove. Top is held down by a bungee cord attached to the handles. Almost no deporit in the vacuum fikter bag and no leaks. Baffle is 1/8 in hardboard which I miscut to 270 degrees instead of 240. Doesn't seem to have affected performance.

revwarguy

Leaks around the baffle where it touches the can are not too critical, Nerd.

If you need to use a metal garbage can, you might consider a top hat design so that you can get a good seal around the top rim.  I did just that, as shown at http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=952.0

Hope that is some help.