What's the Reason for the Baffle Thickness?

Started by Kelly Bellis, June 06, 2020, 06:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly Bellis

What's the Reason for the Baffle Thickness?

I've been wondering about the science of the baffle's thickness. I began to visualize it like a cutting iron on a hand plane only instead of shaving the wood, it's shaving the the particulates swirling in the wind. I'm wondering if introducing an angled edge might help improve the baffle's performance. The fibrous edge could be bolstered to withstand the particulate bombardment with some CA glue. Chamfering the edge would also allow the baffle's thickness to be increased for structural enhancement of the Thien Separator without degradation the of its performance, or at least that's the idea.

The angle of the chamfer, the material of the baffle, and the anticipated types of particulates abrading its edge make for further consideration. As a starting point, a 45 degree chamfer seems reasonably durable and any matter striking the chamfer surface would still be deflected into the waste bin.

The lower edge of the chamfer might also be eased to mitigate back edge turbulence.

alan m

this si what is recommended  here most of the time. a super thin baffle would be great. if i ever rebuild mine i will probably use a 2mm steel sheet for mine with a smaller ply piece under it for support.
i chambered mine  down from 18mm to maybe 4-6mm maybe at a roughly 30 degree angle.
it works fine.