2 1/2" inlet 1 1/4" oulet 2 1/2 hp shop vac

Started by new_wood_worker, April 22, 2013, 01:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new_wood_worker

Hi Phil,

I'm very impressed with your design and the results that you've gotten.  I have a Big Green Clean Machine which was a carpet cleaner that could also be used as a shop vac, but we got a better carpet cleaner a while back so it became my dedicated shop vac.  It uses 1 1/4" hoses and had thought about using 1 1/4" inlets and outlets, but it sounds like I'll have clogging issues.  However, what if I use a 2 1/2" inlet and a 1 1/4" outlet.

I have picked out the trash can, it's 31 gallons metal, 20 1/2" diameter, and 27" deep.  I'm going to use 3/4" birch plywood as you suggested.  I was also thinking of putting another piece in the bottom and then boring out 1/4" deep holes in it and the baffle and attaching them with dowels to try and prevent this metal can squashing that I keep reading about.

Thoughts?

Thank-you

new_wood_worker

If anybody has any thoughts on this it would be welcomed.

phil (admin)

I think people aren't answering because we don't know.

I'd be a bit concerned that the smaller outlet hose would restrict airflow enough that things won't work that well.

BUT, maybe you could built it so you can use a larger hose on the outlet if the smaller hose of the Green Machine doesn't prove satisfactory?

new_wood_worker

Ok, thanks Phil.  If I did a 2 1/2" out, how far would I have to go until I could reduce that to the 1 1/4"?

phil (admin)

Quote from: new_wood_worker on April 26, 2013, 05:33:15 PM
Ok, thanks Phil.  If I did a 2 1/2" out, how far would I have to go until I could reduce that to the 1 1/4"?

You could do it right at the separator if you wanted.

new_wood_worker

Ok, thanks a lot. I'll let you know how it comes out.