News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

New kid on the block

Started by Lake Lover, October 24, 2012, 02:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake Lover

Hi

Nice site here.  Thanks for all the effort.

I just bought a metal trash can, got some plywood and ready to get at it.

Just a couple questions.

Has anyone ever tried, having the main exhaust pipe extend under the baffle ?

Has anyone tried beveling the bottom of the baffle, to see if that aids in seperation ?

Up in Good old Canada we don't have a Harbor freight, Does any one know were to get a decent impeller ?

Thanks in advance.

BB

phil (admin)

The outlet pipe cannot extend below the baffle.  It has to be ABOVE the baffle.

If you use 1/4 hardboard for the baffle, then no bevel is required.

Lake Lover

Phil

Thanks for approving me as a member.

I was ready to pop for a Dust Deputy, but what the heck.

I think I have a good grasp of the cyclone air dynamics, but still a bit baffled about how your design sets up an air swirl, and high / low pressure areas. If you could refer me to any earlier links I would appreciate it.

I have a no name 1 hp dust collector and was thinking of using that then I started thinking, I would like a bit more power as I would like to put in a floor duct for the table saw. So may as well do it right.

Am looking for impellers larger than 14 inches, any links to suppliers ?

Last question, I have thought about for years. Used to own an 62 International Scout, 4 cylinder.  It had an oil bath air cleaner.     Has anyone tried a water type seperation chamber ?

Regards

phil (admin)

I never really wrote up an explanation for how it works.  It is really quite simply, I tell people to imagine they're a particle of dust and think of what would happen when you leave the hose with a relatively small cross-section and then enter the separator, where you immediately see a pressure drop, then revolve around the wall where you encounter friction, and eventually succumb to gravity.

Water-based final filters can work, but require quite a large surface area and can contribute a bunch of humidity to your shop.